How much does wage have to rise to keep up with inflation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BrightLight

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got a dollar raise for my hourly wage. It doesn't seem alot, but I am still quite excited. But is it enough to keep up with inflation?
 
I just got a dollar raise for my hourly wage. It doesn't seem alot, but I am still quite excited. But is it enough to keep up with inflation?

Inflation is dependent on a lot of things and varies month to month, and year to year. If you were making 50 dollars an hour, you barely kept up with inflation. If you make less than 50, you came out okay. If you make more than 50, your salary did not keep up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think of 3% as being the rate of inflation, however I have never received a raise of that much in my working life. :laugh:
 
I got 3.5% raise...3% for inflation and 0.5% is my raise..lol...which I won't see until September
 
i got an extra dollar every year as a student, i think you're doing something wrong

also if your wage is stagnant compared to inflation, then your savings/investments better be working to counteract that.