how much does your clerkship grade factor into residency chances

Started by Spras
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spras

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering how much does your clerkship grade factor into residency chances...like if you didn't get an A because of your shelf score but received great subjective evaluations otherwise, does that hurt your chances of getting a residency?
 
IMHO what I have mostly seen is it hurts you when screened by numbers. Some programs just won't interview people that didn't pass step 1 the first time etc etc... If you get an interview it counts for not as much. Go and impress them!
 
I was wondering how much does your clerkship grade factor into residency chances...like if you didn't get an A because of your shelf score but received great subjective evaluations otherwise, does that hurt your chances of getting a residency?

I take it that you are not referring to step 1 or 2. I think you should be fine since the evals go into your dean's letter. If you are really concerned, speak with the clerkship or residency director at your school to get better advice. It is definitely not the end of the world. I say this, b/c I got the avg. shelf score and great evals and was told by residency director at my school that this won't hurt me. He even wrote a LOR for me. Good luck!