How much fish oil does my pet fish need to stay healthy?

Started by Guitarmacy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Guitarmacy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody. Just wondering how many milligrams of fish oil (omega-3) my daughter's pet fish needs to lead a long and healthy life? I want her first pet to be long lived for please help! :scared:
 
I think you're supposed to change the fish's oil like once every 3-5000 miles to really keep it in peak shape.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I usually empty 1 capsule daily into the water tank. I hope this helps!

You should change your name to BP, or to Exxon...

It depends on the type of fish. If it is a fresh water fish, very little omega-3 is in their diet to start with in nature. Not much is required. Marine fish would need more, but it could come from the other parts of their diet. If your daughter feeds (and probably over-feeds) her fish with a commercially available food, it probably contains enough of what the fish needs to stay healthy and happy for a long time.

I have kept marine fish for many years, and I never added omega-3 to any food that I fed them.

As a joke, fish only need oiled like a sewing machine. A drop behind each fin, and one in each gill slit each month of use. It helps the parts from wearing out when they rub.

dsoz