How much if any research for obgyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fitnesspremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm sure this question has been asked/speculated about a lot, but I was wondering if you all could give me any insight into how much if any research is needed during med school to be competitive for an OB/GYN residency. Any personal experience or observations would be helpful. I'm headed off to med school next year and was just hoping to get a better picture :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
I'm sure this question has been asked/speculated about a lot, but I was wondering if you all could give me any insight into how much if any research is needed during med school to be competitive for an OB/GYN residency. Any personal experience or observations would be helpful. I'm headed off to med school next year and was just hoping to get a better picture :)

Currently, research is not needed at all. There are old threads about this already. Only do research if you are interested in such things. However, research can compliment your application nicely esp. for more competitive academic programs.

Currently, research is not needed at all. There are old threads about this already. Only do research if you are interested in such things. However, research can compliment your application nicely esp. for more competitive academic programs.

I have been told that research is pretty important if you want to pursue a fellowship in any of the specialty areas of OB/GYN.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been told that research is pretty important if you want to pursue a fellowship in any of the specialty areas of OB/GYN.

That is true with regards to research during RESIDENCY not med school.

Why does it make a difference when the research is done? Published papers are published papers.... and, I imagine that one has more time during med school than during residency (not that much more, but summer m1-m2).

From my understanding, any research done in the area of OBGYN will help propel one into a fellowship.

Why does it make a difference when the research is done? Published papers are published papers.... and, I imagine that one has more time during med school than during residency (not that much more, but summer m1-m2).

From my understanding, any research done in the area of OBGYN will help propel one into a fellowship.

Yes, you are right in your last statement somewhat. I am an MS4 awaiting match day. If you PM or ask other MS4's who have now completed their residency interviews how many of them had research publications/extensive research and thus garnered highly competitive interviews at "top" prgms...i bet the number is small. also, if you ask residents who are interested in pursuiing fellowships they will also tell you that research is impt. for fellowships WAY more than it is for securing a residency spot. overall, i agree that research can help. i have participated in quite a bit of research including receiving a few publications, but i also have classmates who have none and they did fine on the interview trail. basically, do research b/c you want to in regards to getting a good residency spot, but it is not the most impt. thing for obgyn residency. it is more impt. for securing a fellowship AFTER residency.
check out this thread. the respondents are MS4's for the 2007-2008 residency interview cycle.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=455238&highlight=research

I agree with Nykka. Doing research during medical school is great, but it's not that important when it comes to securing interviews at top Ob programs. I'm also an MS4 and did no serious research and have no publications to my name. All my friends going to Ob are the same but we all secured great interviews at top programs. Definitely do it if it interests you but at least recently applicants have been ok if they haven't done any. I can't imagine that it will affect my chances at securing a fellowship either.

thanks everyone, that really helps. good luck to all waiting for the match, and if you have any more info, i'd love to hear it!

I agree with everything that has been said about research during med school. It certainly won't hurt you and can significantly help you, but is not essential. I had some research experience in a totally unrelated field during med school.

In residency, at all academic programs that I know, research is a requirement. At my program, we present our research at the end of our third year. Some programs present during 4th year.

Good luck.