Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

how much influence do interviews have on you?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Doctor Bagel, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i was reading the dmu thread, and it seems like the big trend is that people have vastly different experiences at the same school. i'm just curious how much weight sdn'ers put on the interview itself when picking a school. for me, i care more about the vibe i get from the school on the interview day than the vibe from the interview itself because, imo, the interview is really dependent on the individuals who interview you. they might be good, they might be [email protected], and the school has little control over that.

thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the interview has some importance in my decision, but overall, I think it's the entire picture that has helped me to choose the school for me. However, I think an interview can really hurt the school, even more than it can help it. I had a terrible interview at Nova and it completely turned me off to the school (along with other factors), so I can understand why someone can judge a school solely on the interview.

4. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It really is the consideration of a wide variety of factors. I look at everything. If my interview goes bad, I must admit that it sours the day. However, that hasn't happen so far and I have been on three interviews. I have two more and hopefully some more.

5. Jezzielin

Jezzielin Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do some schools take more from interviews than others? MD/DO or any specific school? I love interviews! :D

6. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How I do at the interview isn't as important as how the interviewers portray themselves. The whole 'face' of the school has to make sense. If you get a super-friendly school that has a frigid interview, I begin to wonder which 'face' is correct... makes me think that the staff isn't very accessible and doesn't care about their students. You can have a tough interview while not being cold. Hard interview? Bring it. Tough questions? Tough questioner? Bring it. Bring it all. I'm good with that - if I do poorly, that's my fault. But the 'face' of the interview has to match the rest of the day.

7. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have read a post from current med students saying how that the interviews that they did the worst in they got in, and the interviews they thought they did the best in that they were rejected. According to a couple of them, the interview didn't mean anything. But I don't have the link off hand.

8. Jezzielin

Jezzielin Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

sweet... :barf: