how much is too much debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torrance195

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
soon to be a postbac student here..

I went to an out-of-state for undergrad and ended up with more than 70k in debt. I will accumulate even more after 2 yrs postbac studies...

Is it unrealistic that I am trying to go to med school? All my federal AND private loans from undergrad are under my name because my parents didn't help me pay for college. I am not even sure if I will be qualified to get more loan if I get accepted to med school.

Currently, I am in my grace period as I just graduated college. I was thinking about working for several years before I apply but I honestly think med school will never happen if I don't start now.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, that's a lot to rack up in undergrad. Average, I believe, is around 25K. But, whatevs, I don't want to discourage you to follow your dream. At the least, I'd say, do post-bac informally and pay out-of-pocket.

while you will have a problem obtaining federal loans after a certain limit in med school (i think it tops out at $195 k?), private loans should not be a problem. there are plenty of banks willing to give you cash and charge a ridiculous interest rate. i'm a post bac right now and realizing how much debt i'm in for, but medicine is definitely what i want. moreover, there are plenty of programs to help with loans: health service corps, indian health service corps, plus many hospitals/groups will now help repay loans. trust me, make it to med school, get out alive and you're going to be ok around 50 or so. just be ready for a good couple of decades of debt!