how much is too much debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

torrance195

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
soon to be a postbac student here..

I went to an out-of-state for undergrad and ended up with more than 70k in debt. I will accumulate even more after 2 yrs postbac studies...

Is it unrealistic that I am trying to go to med school? All my federal AND private loans from undergrad are under my name because my parents didn't help me pay for college. I am not even sure if I will be qualified to get more loan if I get accepted to med school.

Currently, I am in my grace period as I just graduated college. I was thinking about working for several years before I apply but I honestly think med school will never happen if I don't start now.
 
Honestly, that's a lot to rack up in undergrad. Average, I believe, is around 25K. But, whatevs, I don't want to discourage you to follow your dream. At the least, I'd say, do post-bac informally and pay out-of-pocket.
 
while you will have a problem obtaining federal loans after a certain limit in med school (i think it tops out at $195 k?), private loans should not be a problem. there are plenty of banks willing to give you cash and charge a ridiculous interest rate. i'm a post bac right now and realizing how much debt i'm in for, but medicine is definitely what i want. moreover, there are plenty of programs to help with loans: health service corps, indian health service corps, plus many hospitals/groups will now help repay loans. trust me, make it to med school, get out alive and you're going to be ok around 50 or so. just be ready for a good couple of decades of debt!