How much is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

GuisoPotaje

I'll be entering my second undergrad year this fall and currently my course load looks like this:

Genetics
Organic Chem
Physics
English
Philosophy

Is this too much? I didn't think it was when I signed up for the classes in March. It's 17 hours, and I had 17 hours both semesters my first year. However, organic lab is much longer than gen chem lab, and organic overall is going to be tougher. I've been considering delaying physics until my third year, and replacing it with something I need for my core.

The only reason I can see for going ahead with my current schedule is that I'll have all the courses I need to take the August MCAT my junior year and allow for the possibility of a retake in April with enough time to send in my apps early. BUT then again, why rush? Why not stick with only two sciences and learn them inside out and then take the MCAT only once and nail it the first time? And leave time for ECs along the way.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

It's doable. I took 17 credits (orgo, calc 2, genetics, physio psych, organic lab) and worked at the same time. But just a bit of warning: it's not going to be easy. Genetics was my hardest class that semester.

Go for it. I did 20 once; it was one hell of a fight. but i think everyone should do it at least once.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it's not too much. However, base you decision on how much you like math. Physics will either be really easy, or suck up a lot of your time. There is usually no grey in-between area with Physics. O-chem will be time consuming and so will Genetics, so one more time consuming class would be a real pain to have to deal with.

I'm in almost the exact same boat; my fall courses are organic 1 (i.e., first semester), physics 1, genetics, and statistics, for a total of 15 credits. In addition, I do independent lab work with a professor at my college and tutor molecular/cell bio (which isn't bad, as I don't get many tutees, and usually get to do my own work during my hours). Let's keep our fingers crossed for each other. :p Hey, at least I'm not working this semester (besides the tutoring)-- I worked 30+ hours/week this past year in addition to a full-time courseload, the tutoring, and the EC's, and it killed me; I still haven't recovered. :(

You'll be fine - I pulled molecular bio, organic, immunology, 400 level history, gerontology, and a small group leadership class - it kept me busy, but it's not impossible.

I wouldn't suggest it, unless you want to do nothing but stay in the library all semester. I took 28 units once. Ochem, ochem lab, biochem, 2 history courses, 1 english courses, and 1 honor research course. It was PURE HELL! I ended up with 3A's , 3B's. ***k. Don'T DO it, it's better to do well then kill yourself.

But don't med schools also look at the course load? I mean, doesn't 20 credits with a 3.5 look better than 12 credits with a 4.0? Most websites say they take course load into consideration.

Take the 12 credits, get the 4.0.

The 20 credits with a 3.5 does not look better.

no. take the 4.0 . trust me on this one. you will understand this later down the road.

doable depending on how hard the engl/phil class is

Og kingofBashan said:
drop the philosophy.
ditto, if the phil is writing intensive and you still wanna keep up with ECs.

ShyRem said:
But don't med schools also look at the course load? I mean, doesn't 20 credits with a 3.5 look better than 12 credits with a 4.0? Most websites say they take course load into consideration.
Not even close. As long as you don't take eight years to graduate, they're going to look more at your grades than your courseload. I know an anesthesiologist who went to WashU after taking TEN YEARS to do his undergrad. He said "If I can do it, anybody can." I don't really believe that, but if he can dick around that long and still get in, it makes you wonder.....

Anyways, for the original poster, no, it shouldn't be too much, unless your previous track record leads you to think you won't be able to handle it. I've taken more in the past.

GuisoPotaje said:
I'll be entering my second undergrad year this fall and currently my course load looks like this:

Genetics
Organic Chem
Physics
English
Philosophy

What should I do?

I can't tell you what to do...but just make sure you can handle the load. I took Genetics, Genetics Lab, Orgo, Orgo Lab, and Physics all at one time along with another class...and then there ended up being 2 close friends murdered and another family member dying in the middle of it. At that point in time, I would have done anything to have a lighter load. However, many people can handle this course load...just make sure you are prepared for it and for the "bumps" that may pop up in your way.

If you plan on working at all, or having an active extra-curricular or social schedule, then I would suggest dropping a class, preferably a tougher one. Maintaining a high gpa and also living a life outside of the library is much more important than maintaining a rigourous course load just so that you can meet a self-imposed time line. Just my two cents.

I agree with the others that have said that it comes down to the almighty GPA- don't screw yourself over for the sake of overachieving. Yes, it builds character and all that warm, mushy stuff but you never know what might happen and you don't want to be in a lurch. Heaven forbid, you might get mono or loved ones may pass on and you don't want to be worrying about 20 hours of coursework while dealing with either of those or any other "life sucks" issue.