How much is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gem777

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering whether there is a point you reach at which time getting a degree isn't worth the amount of debt? In other words, is there such thing as too much student loan debt?

I'm always hearing- credit card debt- bad; student loan debt- good. But, between my spouse and I who have no credit card debt, but outrageous student loan debt, I can't help but think was this worth it?

Okay. . I know there will be people who say "if it is what you love to do, than why not take on what ever debt it takes to get the degree". I understand that, and if you were to ask my husband, he would absolutely say his debt was worth it because he LOVES what he does.

But, it just seems that we will be paying this debt off until we're 90 years old. Okay its not that bad. But, I think I've reached that point where I no longer want to live like a student, but like a "real person". (He he . . whatever that is.)

Just curious to hear others thoughts on this, especially those who are in . . . ugh . . repayment.

Members don't see this ad.

i am in repayment. if you stretch out the payments enough, it is not bad at all. we have >250k in loans.

once you finish residency, your salary will cover your loans. while you are in residency and medical school your financial status is broke. of course if you have to drive a mercedes by age 30 and go out to eat every night and swill fine wines, than very few occupations will cover your lifestyle, loans or no loans.

don't get distracted by the details.
do a search for my posts. i should just save it so i can cut and paste it.