How much lab work at Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vitae

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how much of your own lab work you really do at Baylor? I have been accepted to the three Texas dental schools and have heard you do just about all your own lab work at Baylor, is ths true? Can anybody clarify this for me, and perhaps tell me the pros and cons of actually having to do so much lab work? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros: You will be able to understand the time it takes for your future lab to return your cases well within their capable finishing time. (most dentists want their work done NOW, RETURN IT NOW. How can you take 5 hours to do model work, die trimming, waxing, burn out, casting and polishing!!!!!!!)

It will also help your steady hand skills.

Vitae said:
Can anybody tell me how much of your own lab work you really do at Baylor? I have been accepted to the three Texas dental schools and have heard you do just about all your own lab work at Baylor, is ths true? Can anybody clarify this for me, and perhaps tell me the pros and cons of actually having to do so much lab work? Thanks.

A DS3 at Baylor I stayed with when visiting Dallas this last October said they do all their own fixed gold work in preclinic and clinic (models, waxing, casting, etc); no porcelain stacking. He also said they do something crazy like 50+ units of fixed to graduate.

That said, my outside perspective is that it's a fabulous place to learn to be a great GP. Cons: you spend a lot of your life doing lab work. Pros: you understand and appreciate all the effort it takes (as posted above). IMO pouring my own models and trimming my own dies has really helped me improve my fixed preps.