How much leave are we allowed to take and still be board eligible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to some of my internal medicine colleagues about how much sick and vacation days we get. So, even though our institution allows for 10 sick days a year, the American Board of Internal Medicine states that if a resident wants to be eligible to sit for boards they can miss no more than 3 months in 3 years of residency. That means that if they used all of their vacation time they only get 5 sick days in 3 years.

Does the ACR have similar guidelines for radiation oncology? How much total time are we allowed off and still be eligible for boards?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was talking to some of my internal medicine colleagues about how much sick and vacation days we get. So, even though our institution allows for 10 sick days a year, the American Board of Internal Medicine states that if a resident wants to be eligible to sit for boards they can miss no more than 3 months in 3 years of residency. That means that if they used all of their vacation time they only get 5 sick days in 3 years.

Does the ACR have similar guidelines for radiation oncology? How much total time are we allowed off and still be eligible for boards?

thanks

New policy effective July 1, 2010

Leaves of absence and vacation may be granted to residents at the discretion of the program director in accordance with local rules. Within the required period(s) of graduate medical education, the total such leave and vacation time may not exceed:
6 calendar weeks
(30 working days) for residents in a program for one year
12 calendar weeks
(60 working days) for residents in a program for two years
18 calendar weeks
(90 working days) for residents in a program for three years
24 calendar weeks
(120 working days) for residents in a program for four years

If a longer leave of absence is granted, the required period of graduate medical education must be extended accordingly.