How Much Longer Until I Can Stop Obsessing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrandNewDay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 11 complete (or soon to be) applications at various schools. The last secondary went out in the mail yesterday and the first was marked complete on 8/17. I have a 30R MCAT, 3.25 BCPM GPA, 3.65 AO GPA, and 3.35 overall. However, I have tons of clinical experience, including one lasting over four years, tons of volunteer projects which I lead (and founded), shadowing, and 10 months of ongoing research experience.

I'm actually a reapplicant who applied very late last year and received one interview in January. Since that time, I improved my MCAT score by a few points, began research, began shadowing two doctors, continued my volunteer projects, became more fluent in Spanish (and I will be entirely fluent by the time med school begins), and improved each of my GPAs by marginal amounts.

My question is- when should I expect to hear back from the schools concerning interviews/holds/rejections? I am a very unique applicant for reasons beyond what I could reasonably divulge here, but I understand that my GPA is a little low for a pre-med. I only had one really bad semester, which was brought up to its current level by managing 17+ hours and earning good grades every subsequent semester. I have worked very hard to get to this point, and I would greatly appreciate any input into how much obsessing I have left until I hear back from my schools.

PS. I only applied to schools (with one exception) where I would be near the median MCAT score. Aside from that one school, I don't have any real reaches- though I did apply to some big schools like GWU and Rosalind Franklin.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude (or dudette).

You'll hear back from each school beginning October 12th at 2:32 pm. Your interview invites will come daily from that point, and they should all be scheduled no later than October 24th at 5:00 pm.

Do you really expect SDN to read the minds of each AdCom at each school to know when YOU will hear anything? Most everyone here is in the same boat. Just relax, take it as it comes.

Dude (or dudette).

You'll hear back from each school beginning October 12th at 2:32 pm. Your interview invites will come daily from that point, and they should all be scheduled no later than October 24th at 5:00 pm.

Do you really expect SDN to read the minds of each AdCom at each school to know when YOU will hear anything? Most everyone here is in the same boat. Just relax, take it as it comes.

Mind-reading doesn't come standard with a 4.0 GPA? I'm disappointed. :D

I was actually hoping for some stories of how long it took between secondaries and interview invites. While I'd love specifics, I certainly don't expect them. I'd just like to have even the vaguest idea of how many more times I'm going to refresh my email, to no avail.

Thanks for any help you provide!

-A Neurotic Dudette

Members don't see this ad :)

I was actually hoping for some stories of how long it took between secondaries and interview invites. While I'd love specifics, I certainly don't expect them. I'd just like to have even the vaguest idea of how many more times I'm going to refresh my email, to no avail.

-A Neurotic Dudette

Duuude. Sweeeet. [Nemo was on two nights ago].

It took me about 4 weeks from completion at my state school until an interview invite came. I submitted my secondary the day after I got it (June 28th), became "complete" July 17th. Worth noting is that I was also EDP.

It brings me incredible joy that even as stereotypically uptight pre-meds, we can still enjoy our Disney movies. Now, if I can only remember anatomy as well as I can "P Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney", I might do okay. Thanks for the tip!

-A Neurotic Dudette

One problem is that, though it took me a few weeks to hear back from one school, it took nearly two from another, and all of that was one to three months ago. Some schools are finishing up their interview slots, others are just getting started. Some may move quicker now with rejections/interviews, others slower.

My advice is to dwell on it as little as possible. Set your phone to alert you to emails and stop hitting refresh. Now, I'm so busy that I only think about the process ten times a day, instead of ten times a minute. Much less stressful that way.

-A-Normally-Quite-Neurotic-But-Now-Just-Tired Dudette

One problem is that, though it took me a few weeks to hear back from one school, it took nearly two from another, and all of that was one to three months ago. Some schools are finishing up their interview slots, others are just getting started. Some may move quicker now with rejections/interviews, others slower.

My advice is to dwell on it as little as possible. Set your phone to alert you to emails and stop hitting refresh. Now, I'm so busy that I only think about the process ten times a day, instead of ten times a minute. Much less stressful that way.

-A-Normally-Quite-Neurotic-But-Now-Just-Tired Dudette

Wait, some schools are FINISHING their interview slots? :eek: :scared:

I do keep busy, but a lot of what I do is on the computer, so... it's pretty easy to refresh SDN (to see how many interviews my top choice has given out), my email, and so on. I know I'm driving myself crazy, but I can't stomach the idea of not getting in (again), so I can't think of much else.

Well do you feel comfortable posting your school list?

The school specific discussion threads are your best bet to see how fast your schools look at apps

I'm keeping an eye on the threads for my top choices, but the other eight are either too active (or irrelevant) to keep up with. I guess I'm just looking for some idea of what to expect, in general. Unfortunately, my top choices are the ones I'm most familiar with. I'm freaking out because I don't know how competitive I am, I see people interviewing at my top choice, and so on. I'm worried I'm not as competitive as I think I am.

I'm keeping an eye on the threads for my top choices, but the other eight are either too active (or irrelevant) to keep up with. I guess I'm just looking for some idea of what to expect, in general. Unfortunately, my top choices are the ones I'm most familiar with. I'm freaking out because I don't know how competitive I am, I see people interviewing at my top choice, and so on. I'm worried I'm not as competitive as I think I am.
I see. Well it's very hard to say without knowing additional information such as your exact ECs, your unique aspect you alluded to earlier, whether or not you are a URM, etc.

Taken at face value and looking at historical success for all applicants for MD schools, less than 40% of students with a 3.35/30 were accepted over the past 3 years http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625
Your BCPM GPA is very low, and you applied to fewer schools than the average applicant (average of 14 schools). Since you posted in the pre-allo forum, I'm guessing you only applied to MD schools. It seems like DO schools would be a better bet for you, but again, we don't know enough information

On the flip side, you really haven't given the various admissions committees sufficient time to review your app. They haven't received all their applications yet either so they may be waiting to make a final decision for a borderline applicant. Unfortunately, I think you will need to buckle up for the ride like the rest of us

I see. Well it's very hard to say without knowing additional information such as your exact ECs, your unique aspect you alluded to earlier, whether or not you are a URM, etc.

Taken at face value and looking at historical success for all applicants for MD schools, less than 40% of students with a 3.35/30 were accepted over the past 3 years http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625
Your BCPM GPA is very low, and you applied to fewer schools than the average applicant (average of 14 schools). Since you posted in the pre-allo forum, I'm guessing you only applied to MD schools. It seems like DO schools would be a better bet for you, but again, we don't know enough information

On the flip side, you really haven't given the various admissions committees sufficient time to review your app. They haven't received all their applications yet either so they may be waiting to make a final decision for a borderline applicant. Unfortunately, I think you will need to buckle up for the ride like the rest of us

Actually, I applied to 15. I was rejected by one and withdrew from three for various reasons. Not URM. And I hate having to be anonymous. It's very annoying. I guess that's about it. I like to think that my ECs/uniqueness compensate for my lackluster GPA, but I must wait and see. Any tips on how not to stress? :oops: I want this so badly and it's consuming me in a way that's going to make me crazy. Like, straightjacket crazy.

Keep yourself busy with work, friends, traveling, working out, whatever. If you do have to reapply again next year - please APPLY EARLIER!!! You're late for having mediocre stats. Being a re-applicant and having mediocre stats, I'm curious as to why you weren't done in July/August? Adcoms are probably wondering the same thing...

But, I'm sorry, it's too late now to re-think what could have been. Yet, if you do have to do this all over again next year, please finish earlier. My 2 cents.

Actually, I applied to 15. I was rejected by one and withdrew from three for various reasons. Not URM. And I hate having to be anonymous. It's very annoying. I guess that's about it. I like to think that my ECs/uniqueness compensate for my lackluster GPA, but I must wait and see. Any tips on how not to stress? :oops: I want this so badly and it's consuming me in a way that's going to make me crazy. Like, straightjacket crazy.
In addition to what NH14 said, I would add that you should probably avoid SDN:)

A lot of the posters receiving interviews at your top-choice schools probably have unique aspects to their apps plus great stats. Your lower stats mean that you will be invited later if you are invited