How much material do you study per day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

Premed here. I’m curious how fast one needs to move through material in med school (let’s assume worst-case amount of material). I feel that I can move through material pretty easily in undergrad, but obv med school is a very different environment.

I’ve heard numerous times that it is, of course, far more material vs undergrad, but I’ve never seen any specific preal life examples of exactly how much material is covered per day (at maximum difficulty/effort).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've done my studying 95% via Anki since day 1 of med school. At this point I'm 14 months into it, and have matured ~21,000 cards. 14x30 = 420 days of med school. 21000/420 = 50 cards learned per day.

So on average I've learned 50 new "facts" every day since school started, with ~85% retention of those facts over time. Doesn't seem so bad, just keep eating your pancakes.

Reactions: 15 users
Depends on the system. On average probably 5-7 hours a day of solid study time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done my studying 95% via Anki since day 1 of med school. At this point I'm 14 months into it, and have matured ~21,000 cards. 14x30 = 420 days of med school. 21000/420 = 50 cards learned per day.

So on average I've learned 50 new "facts" every day since school started, with ~85% retention of those facts over time. Doesn't seem so bad, just keep eating your pancakes.
Pancakes drizzled in rich VT syrup.

Reactions: 2 users
How much material per unit time though? Around the same density of material as undergrad?

No. We did the equivalent of biochem 1 and 2 in one month. And that wasn't our only class we were taking.

Reactions: 1 users
No. We did the equivalent of biochem 1 and 2 in one month. And that wasn't our only class we were taking.

Would you say that this (link below) is representative of one lecture’s worth of material?

How many classes do you take per block?

Would you say that this (link below) is representative of one lecture’s worth of material?

How many classes do you take per block?

It depends. For a normal systems course for us we cover all the physiology, pharm, path, micro, and clinical correlation in one month. 2 tests in that one month with the final cumulative. On top of that we have a clinical skills, service learning, and OMM (DO school) courses that span the whole semester.

Here is a decent example, you know how during UG finals weeks you are studying for like 4 finals at once and there is a lot of material? Med school is like that every week.

Reactions: 6 users
My school focused on one "system" per block. Each system covered anatomy, physio, embryo, biochem, immuno, and the basic science portion of the system in M1. M2 went through all the systems again, reviewing previously learned material, plus adding pathophys, pharm, micro, and clinical medicine (aka how do you actually diagnose this and what tests/treatments do you order). Blocks lasted 3-5 weeks depending on the subject. We also took OMM, bioethics, and a "clinical medicine" course alongside whatever block we were on.

An easier example is that we covered all of biochem in the first 2.5 weeks of med school and all of immuno (in greater depth than 1 semester of UG) in 2 weeks. First day of biochem our professor put up a diagram and semi-jokingly said "By then end of this course you should be able to draw and understand this diagram from scratch." We all laughed a little and then he got completely serious and said "I'm not joking." At which point we all became instantly horrified. He wasn't joking. This was the diagram:

metabolism.jpg

It sounds overwhelming but once you adapt it sort of becomes natural. I looked at my sister-in-law's syllabus for her UG genetics class she was complaing about and thought "lol, this seems so chill." but in UG I probably would have thought it was a pretty challenging class. The vast majority of the time it's not particularly hard info to learn, it's just a large volume and requires strong organizational skills and not just hard work. Once you get your study strategy down and get into a groove it's not as insane as it initially sounds.

Reactions: 8 users

Damn Gurby do you think I can do that with 150 new cards by dedicated?

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_5987.jpg

It’s beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
OP it's important to remember that undergrad and med school test different things. Years 1 and 2 of med school will cover way beyond what a top notch pre-med program will hit (otherwise why bother, right?) The rates, density, and scope of things are increased in med school. And where you might have learned about bacterial organelles in UG, you'll learn about virulence factors and antibiotic modalities in med school, for example. It's kinda tough to describe, things are different in such a way that time commitment is also different

Damn Gurby do you think I can do that with 150 new cards by dedicated?

(disclaimer that I'm just an M2 and haven't taken Step yet, so this is just my own experience/intuition/speculation)

Are you talking about doing Zanki or similar? How much time do you have left until dedicated, and how long is dedicated?

150 new cards/day would be a herculean effort assuming you finish your reviews every day, which IMO is the most important thing. I'm often way behind on what we're learning in class because I'm busy reviewing completely unrelated stuff we covered 6 months ago. I am pretty confident this will pay off when dedicated rolls around, but who knows really maybe I'm just wasting my time.

Also I think QBanks and full lengths should be prioritized. I would sacrifice getting through some of Zanki to make sure I had enough time to do a full pass of UWorld and 1 other Qbank (adding in Anki cards to fill in every detail you didn't know along the way). So while maybe it would be theoretically possible for you to crush a ton of Anki cards between now and dedicated, it might ultimately not be the best strategy for you if it means sacrificing other things that are potentially more important.

Reactions: 4 users
Also I think QBanks and full lengths should be prioritized.

for the record, NBME practice tests are 4 blocks of 50 questions. Not trying to be a smarta$$, just wasn't sure you knew

for the record, NBME practice tests are 4 blocks of 50 questions. Not trying to be a smarta$$, just wasn't sure you knew

Had no idea, just figured it would be similar to the MCAT. Thanks!

Had no idea, just figured it would be similar to the MCAT. Thanks!
Yeah...one of the great downsides of Step 1 prep is there's no full-length test. At least not any people commonly do. Kaplan may have one out there somewhere. They definitely aren't common though

The "1 semester worth of 1 undergrad course volume per week" saw seems to be holding true.

For me, weekends are basically just a day without class. Still study a large majority of the day.

Reactions: 5 users
For me, weekends are basically just a day without class. Still study a large majority of the day.

I look forward to weekends because they are days I can study all day without interruption of going to school. (Except College football in the fall takes over my Saturday’s.... and well the whole weekend when I travel to games. 5X during M1 year, and 6X this year as an M2.)

Reactions: 6 users
However large you imagine the volume of work to be in med school, triple that amount and you’ll be closer to accurate.

There really is no way to know what it feels like until you start doing it. It’s a lot.

Reactions: 8 users
It sounds overwhelming but once you adapt it sort of becomes natural...The vast majority of the time it's not particularly hard info to learn, it's just a large volume and requires strong organizational skills and not just hard work. Once you get your study strategy down and get into a groove it's not as insane as it initially sounds.

^^This.

There's a real difference in purpose between med school and undergrad, though. Undergrad courses should be intellectually roaming whereas medical school is really just a very high-end vocational training; there's a certain gravity when you have to apply your learning in a specific way.

In the end, the admissions process is good at finding folks, so if you get in you should be good. Obviously, you'll worry, but then you'll get here and you won't have time for that $hit anymore.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea like others have said the volume is huge but the difficulty of the material is pretty minimal. You start out slow and inefficient but by the end you get good at flying through lectures (sometimes 5+ hours per day on tough weeks) and just picking out the important bits.

At heart M1 & M2 are really more like a foreign language class than anything else. The basic goal is to get you to the point where you can comfortably talk about medicine in a clinical setting

Reactions: 7 users

When you say Anki do you mean like pre-made decks (Zanki/Lightyear) or do you make your own cards?

It really depends on your under grad too. I can only speak from my own experience but each week is like a semester of undergrad. But i also went to a pretty crumby undergrad so...

When you say Anki do you mean like pre-made decks (Zanki/Lightyear) or do you make your own cards?

Started off making own cards, switched to Zanki halfway through M1.

Honestly it depends on how well you wanna do and how much you want to get that 90 or that 75. I put in like maybe 3-4 hours per day, and yeah it's not that much, and I score below the mean, but I actually am enjoying medical school. I plan on ramping it up slowly as M1 progresses, and into M2.

The "1 semester worth of 1 undergrad course volume per week" saw seems to be holding true.

I second this. We did all of Leukemias/Lymphomas in one week. The material could have easily taken a whole UG course to cover. I was dreaming in a H&E tinge that whole weekend.

In comparison to undergrad the difference is huge. Between being in class, studying, research, ECs etc I probably put in 10-14hrs a day/7 days a week (subtract an hour or two for workouts and eating). Occasionally taking days off for fun maybe 1-2 days per exam period (one to two weeks). I will add that im quite inefficient most days and many people in my class can pull off the 8-5/6 routine and even take occasional weekends off and are totally getting as much done as me if not more.

In undergrad I was getting by with an hour or two of studying a day on average (I say on average because thatd usually be crammed in near the end of deadlines/before tests) with maybe an hour or two of ECs a week. (Excluding working for dat $$$, which is a nice thing to not really have to worry about in med school)

Id like to echo those above and say weekends are amazing now a days not because I can go out on a bender for 3 days straight with my friends, but because having no other obligations besides studying is something to cherish.

But in all honesty, you will get used to it. You will adapt, and everything will work out. The first couple weeks are scary, but eventually youll find your rhythm.

Edit: opps sorry read the replies and kinda missed the specifics of the question. For reference biochem was 4wks, genetics 4wks, MSK was 1wk, neuro was the longest at like 8wks, etc. 4 lectures a day most of the time, some are extremely dense with 100s of testable facts jam packed into an hour. Some are blow off hours with hardly anything testable at slow paces. Usually about 200-400pgs of coursepack a week, those pages can range from a picture and a paragraph or two to textbook level dense. We have exams every other week most of the time, occasionally every week, and sometimes every 3wks. The biochem examples above are a good way to understand the pacing.

Last edited:
In comparison to undergrad the difference is huge. Between being in class, studying, research, ECs etc I probably put in 10-14hrs a day/7 days a week (subtract an hour or two for workouts and eating). Occasionally taking days off for fun maybe 1-2 days per exam period (one to two weeks). I will add that im quite inefficient most days and many people in my class can pull off the 8-5/6 routine and even take occasional weekends off and are totally getting as much done as me if not more.

In undergrad I was getting by with an hour or two of studying a day on average (I say on average because thatd usually be crammed in near the end of deadlines/before tests) with maybe an hour or two of ECs a week. (Excluding working for dat $$$, which is a nice thing to not really have to worry about in med school)

Id like to echo those above and say weekends are amazing now a days not because I can go out on a bender for 3 days straight with my friends, but because having no other obligations besides studying is something to cherish.

But in all honesty, you will get used to it. You will adapt, and everything will work out. The first couple weeks are scary, but eventually youll find your rhythm.

Edit: opps sorry read the replies and kinda missed the specifics of the question. For reference biochem was 4wks, genetics 4wks, MSK was 1wk, neuro was the longest at like 8wks, etc. 4 lectures a day most of the time, some are extremely dense with 100s of testable facts jam packed into an hour. Some are blow off hours with hardly anything testable at slow paces. Usually about 200-400pgs of coursepack a week, those pages can range from a picture and a paragraph or two to textbook level dense. We have exams every other week most of the time, occasionally every week, and sometimes every 3wks. The biochem examples above are a good way to understand the pacing.
10-14 hours 7 days a week? The only time that 70-98 hours a week is reasonable is dedicated and even then seems the higher end seems insane. Though if you’re happy and not burned out, more power to you

I personally study/review material for about 2-3 hours a day (typical day) and 1-2 hours/day on the weekend if there is no Monday test. If there is an upcoming test (and we are tested about every other week), then I study about 4-6 hours/day the day before a test, or maybe 6-8 hours/day on the weekends before a Monday test. So, on non-test days/weekends, it's very manageable and the 2-3 hours/day of studying is enough to have me consistently doing just above average, but nothing stellar. When you factor in reviewing lectures, making note cards, going to labs (I'm at a DO school so I'm guessing double a typical MD lab schedule due to OMM bs) and it amounts to about 6-8 hours/day of work. I suspect I would find med school significantly more manageable if I didn't have to spend hours of my week in OMM lab/studying for OMM, but it's purely conjecture as I have no idea how our curriculum otherwise compares to the typical MD school.

Overall, I would say my experience so far (just M1) is that medical school day-to-day is a consistent but manageable heavy workload of material, followed by continuous bi-weekly rushes of panic, guilt over lack of studying, and long days as I cram for a test. Then again, I've always been a crammer, so this might just be me.

M1 was about 5 hours a day for me. M2 was about 8 hours. Dedicated was about 8-10 hours depending. Always have and always will take 1 day completely off from all studies.

10-14 hours 7 days a week? The only time that 70-98 hours a week is reasonable is dedicated and even then seems the higher end seems insane. Though if you’re happy and not burned out, more power to you

Yeah sorry should have broken it down into strictly studying time as thats probably misleading. Most of the time im hanging with friends while studying, like i said very inefficient. Also that includes class, ECs, and workout/meals, basically the time im away from home doing things lol. Class is 4-6hrs per day, ECs like 2-4hrs/wk, workout/food 2hrs/day. Strictly studying is usually between 4-6hrs on weekdays. So its not as bad as that inital post made it seem, sorry bout that!

In undergrad, I went to lecture and didn't do anything else to study/review until like, 2-3 days before the exam, where I would make a quizlet deck and then go through it every day until I was basically getting 100% on the deck. Take exam, get an A usually, move on. So, I basically did zero studying except for a couple of days a month.

In med school, I study every day. If you add in lectures and labs and stuff, I am usually doing something for at least 8 hours a day. I don't go to lecture, and watch most things on 1.5-2x speed as soon as they are posted. Make Anki. Study my Anki cards for the day. Draw out anything that's anatomy related or harder for me to understand. I try to leave school by 7pm, except for days when there is an exam coming up and I might be pulling more hours.

To be honest, I've found it manageable. There are definitely weeks when there is a lot going on and it seems pretty stressful, but there is usually enough time to get things done. I've honestly not been killing myself thus far and since our first two classes where I still had no idea what I was doing, have been scoring average or above average on exams. I feel like I've seen others put in far more hours, but they generally score around the same as me or a couple of points better. I've realized a key to success and happiness in med school is figuring out the work to reward ratio that works for you. If you can put in 7-8 hours of work a day and get an 85 and that makes you happy, solid. For me, putting in 12+ hours a day to score those 5 extra points isn't worth it.

TLDR: It's more work than you've ever done before (academically, might be on-par with the workload of some jobs). But, once you get used to it, it is manageable.

My school focused on one "system" per block. Each system covered anatomy, physio, embryo, biochem, immuno, and the basic science portion of the system in M1. M2 went through all the systems again, reviewing previously learned material, plus adding pathophys, pharm, micro, and clinical medicine (aka how do you actually diagnose this and what tests/treatments do you order). Blocks lasted 3-5 weeks depending on the subject. We also took OMM, bioethics, and a "clinical medicine" course alongside whatever block we were on.

An easier example is that we covered all of biochem in the first 2.5 weeks of med school and all of immuno (in greater depth than 1 semester of UG) in 2 weeks. First day of biochem our professor put up a diagram and semi-jokingly said "By then end of this course you should be able to draw and understand this diagram from scratch." We all laughed a little and then he got completely serious and said "I'm not joking." At which point we all became instantly horrified. He wasn't joking. This was the diagram:

metabolism.jpg

It sounds overwhelming but once you adapt it sort of becomes natural. I looked at my sister-in-law's syllabus for her UG genetics class she was complaing about and thought "lol, this seems so chill." but in UG I probably would have thought it was a pretty challenging class. The vast majority of the time it's not particularly hard info to learn, it's just a large volume and requires strong organizational skills and not just hard work. Once you get your study strategy down and get into a groove it's not as insane as it initially sounds.

View attachment 241036

It’s beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Related:

20131022.png

Reactions: 14 users
For some dumb reason, my school (18 month preclinical curriculum) is compressing all of biochem -- the entire biochem section on BB -- into two weeks. Most people don't even watch the recorded lectures anymore. I had been watching them at 2x speed, but watching BB and doing the LY cards is just so much more efficient. Med school will change how you study. You won't be able to understand how fast the pace can be until you're here. And you'll be able to adapt.

Last edited:

Just curious, are these 21000 cards Zanki or self-made cards for lecture?

I personally study/review material for about 2-3 hours a day (typical day) and 1-2 hours/day on the weekend if there is no Monday test. If there is an upcoming test (and we are tested about every other week), then I study about 4-6 hours/day the day before a test, or maybe 6-8 hours/day on the weekends before a Monday test. So, on non-test days/weekends, it's very manageable and the 2-3 hours/day of studying is enough to have me consistently doing just above average, but nothing stellar. When you factor in reviewing lectures, making note cards, going to labs (I'm at a DO school so I'm guessing double a typical MD lab schedule due to OMM bs) and it amounts to about 6-8 hours/day of work. I suspect I would find med school significantly more manageable if I didn't have to spend hours of my week in OMM lab/studying for OMM, but it's purely conjecture as I have no idea how our curriculum otherwise compares to the typical MD school.

Overall, I would say my experience so far (just M1) is that medical school day-to-day is a consistent but manageable heavy workload of material, followed by continuous bi-weekly rushes of panic, guilt over lack of studying, and long days as I cram for a test. Then again, I've always been a crammer, so this might just be me.
Jesus Im pulling 8-12 hours day and have yet to hit average. Don't know what im doing wrong

Jesus Im pulling 8-12 hours day and have yet to hit average. Don't know what im doing wrong
Go to the tutor office if your school has one. Mine helped a lot in brainstorming strategies and test taking tips that have helped a lot. It's all about finetuning. It took me over a year to figure out what works, because how I did in undergrad definitely didnt. I bought a huge whiteboard and write out charts and diagrams and things. Highly recommend if you're more of a visual learner

However large you imagine the volume of work to be in med school, triple that amount and you’ll be closer to accurate.

There really is no way to know what it feels like until you start doing it. It’s a lot.

I haven’t necessarily found this to be true. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a hell of a lot. But the hardest part for me has been consistently being able to study all day every day without losing steam or getting burnt. After the first half of the semester, I cannot have productive days every single day because my mental stamina and clarity just get eaten up.

What do you use to study? It may not be for everyone, but I just make anki cards off of lecture material and then burn those facts into my head. I'm not sure it's the best way to actually learn the material, but it certainly works for passing the tests. I'm still 50/50 on whether or not I'm appropriately learning the material to apply it later, though.

Also, not sure if it was clear from my post but the 2-3 hours I said is just of studying/reviewing notes. I'm not including reviewing new lectures, going to lab, or making notes. I probably put in 6-8 hours a day total (including breaks/traveling to and from campus, etc).

studying/reviewing notes
Sorry for always asking you questions lol, but is your main review of material coming from the Anki cards, or do you supplement with something else? I've been using strictly Anki and then practice questions a couple of days before the exams, but doing my daily Anki reviews doesn't take that much time and I start to doubt if I'm doing enough when I see other people here for so long at the end of the day...

I'm still here till 7pm most days, but that's because I'm watching the new lectures + making Anki for them. Doing my daily Anki probably takes me only an hour a day, so I'm not sure if I should be doing more.

Sorry for always asking you questions lol, but is your main review of material coming from the Anki cards, or do you supplement with something else? I've been using strictly Anki and then practice questions a couple of days before the exams, but doing my daily Anki reviews doesn't take that much time and I start to doubt if I'm doing enough when I see other people here for so long at the end of the day...

I'm still here till 7pm most days, but that's because I'm watching the new lectures + making Anki for them. Doing my daily Anki probably takes me only an hour a day, so I'm not sure if I should be doing more.

No worries, I hope it's helpful. I keep changing every module to see if something works better because I do feel like I waste a lot of time learning useless stuff that never appears on the tests.

My main review is anki cards due for the day. I will supplement with a youtube video or wikipedia or what have you if the lecture isn't very clear, but that's not too often. I do practice questions that are given to use before the test, but not too many since we typically only get a handful.

~9am to noon: review anki cards (I'm pretty slow because I take a lot of breaks, but you could probably do this in 1.5-2 hrs if you cruise through it).

noon to 5 pm: mixture of watching lectures for the day / making anki cards and going to lab. I do not review any cards made that day, but instead do them the following morning.

When we first started I felt the same way and wondered if I was really slacking because everyone else seems to be studying all night and all weekend long, whereas if I keep on top of cards I'm usually done by 5ish and don't have a ton to do on the weekends. But, I've been doing this consistently and I have done fine on every test so far. This is probably not enough to get A's on tests pre-curve (or at least I'm not smart enough to with this method), but I've been pretty happy with the ratio of effort to results that it's giving.

No worries, I hope it's helpful. I keep changing every module to see if something works better because I do feel like I waste a lot of time learning useless stuff that never appears on the tests.

My main review is anki cards due for the day. I will supplement with a youtube video or wikipedia or what have you if the lecture isn't very clear, but that's not too often. I do practice questions that are given to use before the test, but not too many since we typically only get a handful.

~9am to noon: review anki cards (I'm pretty slow because I take a lot of breaks, but you could probably do this in 1.5-2 hrs if you cruise through it).

noon to 5 pm: mixture of watching lectures for the day / making anki cards and going to lab. I do not review any cards made that day, but instead do them the following morning.

When we first started I felt the same way and wondered if I was really slacking because everyone else seems to be studying all night and all weekend long, whereas if I keep on top of cards I'm usually done by 5ish and don't have a ton to do on the weekends. But, I've been doing this consistently and I have done fine on every test so far. This is probably not enough to get A's on tests pre-curve (or at least I'm not smart enough to with this method), but I've been pretty happy with the ratio of effort to results that it's giving.
Seems like we have a pretty similar schedule; I usually start my day by doing my reviews, then move on to watching lectures/making Anki, and throw in doing the new cards from the previous day somewhere in there (like if I need a break from lecture lol). I rarely supplement with any outside resources outside of an occasional video for drawing out arteries or whatever.

How many new cards + reviews are you doing a day? I do 50 new from my cards, then 50 from the Zanki deck. Then review the same amount per day, so that's 200 cards/day. It literally only takes me an hour to 1.5 hours at most, so it kind of worries me that I'm not doing enough.

I also don't really do anything on weekends except for do the cards that are due for the day, unless it's the weekend before a Monday test. I guess we're pretty much in the same mindset, so I'll try not to get caught up in feeling guilty when I go home and I see so many people still here ha.

EDIT: made the decision today to up my new cards from my own deck to 100 new ones per day, so 100 reviews per day as well. That should make me feel like I’m getting more done lol

Last edited:
Mainly Zanki but with some self-made stuff mixed in.

Damn what a boss.

I’m 3 months in and have matured 2500 cards, but I’m hoping to get a lot done over the summer to make up for being behind.

What do you plan on doing once you’ve covered everything? I imagine you’ll have zanki matured well before dedicated period

Seems like we have a pretty similar schedule; I usually start my day by doing my reviews, then move on to watching lectures/making Anki, and throw in doing the new cards from the previous day somewhere in there (like if I need a break from lecture lol). I rarely supplement with any outside resources outside of an occasional video for drawing out arteries or whatever.

How many new cards + reviews are you doing a day? I do 50 new from my cards, then 50 from the Zanki deck. Then review the same amount per day, so that's 200 cards/day. It literally only takes me an hour to 1.5 hours at most, so it kind of worries me that I'm not doing enough.

I also don't really do anything on weekends except for do the cards that are due for the day, unless it's the weekend before a Monday test. I guess we're pretty much in the same mindset, so I'll try not to get caught up in feeling guilty when I go home and I see so many people still here ha.

EDIT: made the decision today to up my new cards from my own deck to 100 new ones per day, so 100 reviews per day as well. That should make me feel like I’m getting more done lol

Yeah, I'd say we're pretty much doing the same thing at this point. The only difference I make is that I just do whatever cards are due for the day, I don't set a cap on it. At least, that's what I tell myself I'll do each day.. but I currently have 600 cards due today and that is just not happening, hah. Ideally, I do every card that is due in the morning, then make new cards for that day's lecture and complete them + all reviews the following day. I've been pretty bad about it this week though because we just have too many lectures...