How much of a disadvantage are you at if you get rejected from MD/PhD and moved to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1161543

Planning on applying to 3-4 MD/PhD programs and my premed advisor told me that if rejected from MD/PhD, many schools will consider you for MD.

How much of a disadvantage would one be at if their application was rejected from MD/PhD and considered with the MD folks?

Members don't see this ad.

This is pretty dependent on the school. Some schools will ask you in the secondary if you'd also like to be considered for MD admissions and will just pass your application to both admission committees at the start of their cycle. Some schools will only pass you to the MD side after they've considered your MD/PhD application and rejected you.

The issue with the second option is this typically happens very late in the cycle. If you're an absolutely stellar applicant for MD you *might* have luck but your chances are extremely slim because the vast majority of interview slots have been extended.

Also, just my .02 but I would really think about what you want your future career to look like. If you don't envision running a lab and having research be at least 50% of your career I don't really think it's worth it to apply to MD/PhD programs. Likewise, if you can't imagine your career without a large chunk of research maybe consider doing a full MD/PhD cycle. I personally think that applying to both programs simultaneously makes you a little less competitive for both. Typically an AMCAS application reads as an "MD/PhD" app or an "MD" app. It can be hard to talk about enough research in your PS to justify the MD/PhD while not focusing on it so much that it will alienate MD programs. But that's just my opinion!

Reactions: 7 users
Agree with what's been said above. I do think transferred application to II is more common than people initially think. Personally ended up with nearly as many MD IIs as MD-PhD ones, and many people I know also had a good number of them. However, it's likely going to be fairly situational depending on the story your application tells.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Planning on applying to 3-4 MD/PhD programs and my premed advisor told me that if rejected from MD/PhD, many schools will consider you for MD.

How much of a disadvantage would one be at if their application was rejected from MD/PhD and considered with the MD folks?
Disadvantaged in what sense?