How much of ob/gyn is surgery?

Started by devildoc2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have decided I want to do ob/gyn. I am a male, but I have 2 kids and I love the ob aspect of the ob/gyn. I am not going to abandon it despite the high malpractice costs.

Anyways, in addition to delivering babies, I really like surgery. So this field seems like a good fit. Plus in general I like having younger women as patients instead of senile old ass men who are in their 70s/80s. I'm not a pervert, I just like those patients better.

So my question is, how much of my time will be spent in surgery? I know it depends on practice, but just give me an average. 50% of hte time? 20% of the time?
 
I have decided I want to do ob/gyn. I am a male, but I have 2 kids and I love the ob aspect of the ob/gyn. I am not going to abandon it despite the high malpractice costs.

Anyways, in addition to delivering babies, I really like surgery. So this field seems like a good fit. Plus in general I like having younger women as patients instead of senile old ass men who are in their 70s/80s. I'm not a pervert, I just like those patients better.

So my question is, how much of my time will be spent in surgery? I know it depends on practice, but just give me an average. 50% of hte time? 20% of the time?

u just answered your own question...it depends on your practice. some people do more OB, others more gyn. also your patient population may also age with you, so early in your career you may be doing lots of OB, then as your patients age with you, they will have more gyn issues.
i think a general percentage guesstimate is hard to quantify.