How much one on one interaction with Admissions personnel is allowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glucose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Question: If you are doing a Summer internship at the University (think top 3 school) whose Medical School you wish to attend ( but in a different division) how much are you allowed to interact with admissions people upon visiting the Medical School. Is dropping by their office ok? Is emailing them ok (what info can you give them)? Can you tell them about yourself, send them your resume? Tell them " I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in August and applying now so until you get my packet, lemme tell you a little about me...." etc
What are the do's and don'ts when it comes to interaction with admissions people.

Members don't see this ad.

i think talking with the admissions people is perfectly ok, espeically when you have special circumstances. I was at Harvard last year and now am regretting not talking to their admissions people because i was involved in my work. by all means, ask them questions etc. (i don't recommend actually go into the specific details of the application evaluations though, because i think they wouldn't do anything for you unless you actually apply.) I'm at UCLA now and have dropped by the admissions office and the deans office. You can never go wrong unless you act like an idiot.

when I applied before to the Univ. of MN I would drop by the office regularly to check up on the status of my application (they were always running late, and then had put me on "hold," so I wasn't out of line)... after a while the people in the office got to know me. Unfortunately, at the U of MN the office staff, and even the Dir of Admissions, doesn't make admissions decisions. But who knows, if I apply again, perhaps it'll help my app move along more quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Next summer I will be i the same situation. I will be working at a school where I will apply to med school as well. I will definetly stop by and chat with them. I won't push myself on them, just get ot know them and see some med students. Don't try and sell yourself too much, just be genuine and curious.

I've heard that it's good to keep in touch, but don't leave a negative impression.