How much research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adigiorgio

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I managed to get some research done before I started medical school. I have one paper accepted and another in review, primary author on both. Both are related to neurology.

Should I look to do more research while in school? I do love research, but I'm worried that I won't have much time (just started 1st year and feeling a bit overwhelmed). Would two papers be "enough?"

I'm aiming high (UCSF would be my #1 choice) but I will be coming from a DO school, so I figure I need to beef up my application as much as possible.
 
More than 50% of UCSF neuro residents are MD/Ph.D. ( look at their website list of residents)
I think you wouldnt have much chance there with DO and no Ph.D.
Other programs, a few 1st author pubs is excellent and will serve you well.