How much should I ask For......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.MISHKA D.O.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see if there were any thoughts about a recent job offer I recieved, where the hospital CEO asked me to send him a purposal for my salary/benefits.
Smallish (50 K) town in southwest. They pay me during Residency as "retainer" and then I will join their newly forming group (currently use outside contracted group) as administrator (most of the current docs not EM res trained) where I will be responsible for hire and management of new docs and np's in ED and urgent care centers.
Let me know if I am off my rocker...
Thinking of asking for 40K a yr during residency, and 400K a year for 36-48 hrs a week and my administrative duties plus 401K, standard benefits, and 30K of loan repayment each year. Is a company car and expense account over the top?
Is this unrealistic? If someone with some experience in the matter could give me some info it would be grealty appreciated. Thanks

The Mish

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.MISHKA said:
I wanted to see if there were any thoughts about a recent job offer I recieved, where the hospital CEO asked me to send him a purposal for my salary/benefits.
Smallish (50 K) town in southwest. They pay me during Residency as "retainer" and then I will join their newly forming group (currently use outside contracted group) as administrator (most of the current docs not EM res trained) where I will be responsible for hire and management of new docs and np's in ED and urgent care centers.
Thinking of asking for 40K a yr during residency, and 400K a year for 36-48 hrs a week and my administrative duties plus 401K, standard benefits, and 30K of loan repayment each year. Is a company car and expense account over the top?
Is this unrealistic? If someone with some experience in the matter could give me some info it would be grealty appreciated. Thanks

The Mish

You can ask he can always say no. Whats he making? That sounds like an awful lot. I wouldn't want to be an ED director right out of residency.

I would scale my request down to the upper range of realistic:

$20K per year now
$30K per year x 4 years for loan repayment
$250K per year salary
401K, standard bennies etc.
The 401K during residency if it can be arranged

If he takes your 400K I'll call him and offer 350...as will hundreds of others

Members don't see this ad :)
is this a common practice? i've never heard of such athing, where a "future" employer is willing to offer compensation now. i feel like it violates some sort of NCAA recruiting regulations, and that hospital will get banned from participation in future bowl/tournament appearances.

what year resident are you?

Dr.MISHKA said:

The Mish

hi dr. mishka, i was just wondering, do you have an MPH or MHA for the position of administrator? or do you need to have a master's degree also to be an administrator? i was curious because i am also interested in public policy/health administration. i will be a first year at TUCOM most likely next fall and they dont have a joint program D.O/MPH yet..but i was thinking i can get the master's later on in life. Also, is it common practices for hospitals to pay you extra to pay back your loans? this makes me feel great because i thought i'd be paying back my loans till i was 50 :oops: thanks!!

Dr.MISHKA said:

The Mish

I'm real sure for a small hospital ED that it's unrealistic, but who cares. Ask the moon. They can always counter with less, they'll never counter with more. That's why it's called negotiation.

Again, read "you can negotiate anything" by Cohen.

BKN said:
I'm real sure for a small hospital ED that it's unrealistic, but who cares. Ask the moon. They can always counter with less, they'll never counter with more. That's why it's called negotiation.

Again, read "you can negotiate anything" by Cohen.

Thats my take, the worst they just think you are being too greedy and totally negate their offer. If that happens, I guess you'll just be out of a job....oh wait you dont have one yet!

lol. Well I scaled things down a bit, but yes they still countered, but still an awesome offer.

stop keeping us in suspense! what did they offer?

is this a common practice? i've never heard of such athing, where a "future" employer is willing to offer compensation now. i feel like it violates some sort of NCAA recruiting regulations, and that hospital will get banned from participation in future bowl/tournament appearances.

Quite common. You can get a similar deal as a medical student. There was a thread about this very subject recently.

Enough that I am on the 5 year then retire to St Thomas plan. Sweet.

LOL

The Mish

Quite common. You can get a similar deal as a medical student. There was a thread about this very subject recently.

USCDiver
I JUST noticed that in your avatar the girl is HITTING HER HEAD on the board.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

I only ever scraped my toes once on an inward...

So....do you need another?

Oh, if you knew the history of our specialty, you'd be pretty sure that if he gets that kind of money as the boss everybody else makes up his bonus.:D

The FP department at my school in Texas has about all their residents signed up to somewhere by PGY2. They get $$$ as a resident and often get a higher moonlight rate at wherever they commit to...and loan repayment.

We dont have an EM program here, but the FP residents are the 'rich residents' between those bonus offers/yearly salaries, moonlighting, and residency salary....most make more than their attendings.

But again, this is rural Texas which is starving for PCPs....

The FP department at my school in Texas has about all their residents signed up to somewhere by PGY2. They get $$$ as a resident and often get a higher moonlight rate at wherever they commit to...and loan repayment.

We dont have an EM program here, but the FP residents are the 'rich residents' between those bonus offers/yearly salaries, moonlighting, and residency salary....most make more than their attendings.

But again, this is rural Texas which is starving for PCPs....

What part of Texas are you speaking of? Do you know of any places in Tx doing this for em?