1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How much statistics is required for medical research?

Discussion in 'Exam HQ' started by UrmiSinhaRay, Mar 4, 2019.

1. UrmiSinhaRay

Will learning the Mann -Whitney test, ROC curve , Bland-Altman plot, Deming regression and Passing Bablok regression, control charts necessary for advanced research in medicine?
    Basically how much stats I need if I am wanting go into research medicine.
    I am a first Year MBBS student and I am looking for opportunities in medical research.
    Also suggest books with these chapters.

2. PapaGuava

PapaGuava All Things Must Pass
    Moderator Bronze Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    @QofQuimica may have some insight for your question!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I'm afraid I really can't answer that question without knowing more about what kind of research you're interested in doing. I would suggest thinking about this from the other direction: instead of trying to learn everything possible about statistics so that you can be ready for some kind of unknown research gig in the future, first figure out what kind of research you want to do, and then you will know what kind of statistical training you need to have in order to do it. You should also consider that most research is done in teams, and you will likely have a professional statistician (i.e., someone with a PhD in this stuff) working with you. Meaning, if you're a physician working with a statistician on a project, it likely won't be you who's crunching the numbers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...