How much statistics is required for medical research?

Feb 20, 2019
Will learning the Mann -Whitney test, ROC curve , Bland-Altman plot, Deming regression and Passing Bablok regression, control charts necessary for advanced research in medicine?
Basically how much stats I need if I am wanting go into research medicine.
I am a first Year MBBS student and I am looking for opportunities in medical research.
Also suggest books with these chapters.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
I'm afraid I really can't answer that question without knowing more about what kind of research you're interested in doing. I would suggest thinking about this from the other direction: instead of trying to learn everything possible about statistics so that you can be ready for some kind of unknown research gig in the future, first figure out what kind of research you want to do, and then you will know what kind of statistical training you need to have in order to do it. You should also consider that most research is done in teams, and you will likely have a professional statistician (i.e., someone with a PhD in this stuff) working with you. Meaning, if you're a physician working with a statistician on a project, it likely won't be you who's crunching the numbers!

Opticalfuture

Opticqueen
2+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2017
Yeah I'm trying to become a medical scientist in the future. How much math do I need?