How much studying P1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmypharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much studying do you think you did per day, as well as your classmates P1 year to get A's and B's? Also, I will be taking Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Calculations, what is the difference between these two classes? I looked at the class description but, it was vague.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmaceutics typically covers dosage forms of drugs, history of pharmacy, how a drug goes through clinical phases, blah blah blah. Calculations is strictly math and compounding info.

P1 was cake, just bringing up everyone to speed and the same level of basic knowledge for the most part. It is a foundation year. I'd memorize top 300 drug brand/generic ahead of time, right now. That will help you a lot. If you did well in pre-reqs and biology, you should be fine p1 year.

Reactions: 1 user
How much studying do you think you did per day, as well as your classmates P1 year to get A's and B's? Also, I will be taking Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Calculations, what is the difference between these two classes? I looked at the class description but, it was vague.

Depends on your fundamentals, but 2 hours a day should serve you well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmaceutics typically covers dosage forms of drugs, history of pharmacy, how a drug goes through clinical phases, blah blah blah. Calculations is strictly math and compounding info.

P1 was cake, just bringing up everyone to speed and the same level of basic knowledge for the most part. It is a foundation year. I'd memorize top 300 drug brand/generic ahead of time, right now. That will help you a lot. If you did well in pre-reqs and biology, you should be fine p1 year.
What if I did well in all pre-req's except for my Chemistry pre-req's? Is that bad? - meaning will I not survive?

What if I did well in all pre-req's except for my Chemistry pre-req's? Is that bad? - meaning will I not survive?

If your school has biochemistry or medicinal chemistry you might want to start preparing.

I remember thinking first semester of P1 year was the hardest thing i've ever done. Then had second semester of P1 year and now I look back thinking first semester was so easy.

One of classmates described it perfect, "First semester was like a nice Sunday jog, second semester is a 2 mile full on sprint with a broken ankle"

0 for me

P1 was a joke
P2: no longer a joke
P3: rotation, another joke

Reactions: 1 users
P1 was easy. Some classes are just fillers. Just keep up with your studying (1-2 hour review a day should be enough) and As and Bs will come your way. I found my undergrad major much harder, in retrospect.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

When you are in physio and biochem 1-2 hours a day is more than enough. When you are in classes like anatomy/pharmaceutics/OTC even less.

The key is being consistent and disciplined. IF you take a week or two off it will make things much more stressful than they need to be come exam time.

With that being said some people in my class studied 4-6 hours every day and only did average, while others just crammed 2 days before each exam and did okay. Others didn't study and failed out.

3 days before exams will get you As in P1. They are easy. 2 days before for Bs.

worked 20 hrs a week, did work study, and studied a day or two before the test and still pulled in As and Bs with minimal effort. That all goes out the window P2 year when the courses get real.

pharmacy school ain't that hard brah

Reactions: 1 user
When you are in physio and biochem 1-2 hours a day is more than enough. When you are in classes like anatomy/pharmaceutics/OTC even less.

The key is being consistent and disciplined. IF you take a week or two off it will make things much more stressful than they need to be come exam time.

With that being said some people in my class studied 4-6 hours every day and only did average, while others just crammed 2 days before each exam and did okay. Others didn't study and failed out.

And that is the unfairness of life, some people are much more talented than others!