How much studying time will I need (MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here for me. I was looking for some advice from you guys who seem to have already been through this. I'm a junior and I'm currently taking MCAT classes (more because it keeps me on track rather than it helps with material) along with a very hard semester. I currently have a 3.9 cumulative gpa and a 3.935 science gpa, or some number like that. I'm a lot more focused on my college classes right now than the MCAT classes and I'm realistically only aiming for a 34 or higher on the MCAT because I think I have a good enough gpa to balance it out. I've just started the MCAT classes and have yet to take a practice exam to see where I'm at but I seem to be doing well with the passages presented in the class. I'm taking the MCAT may 31st which leaves me a whole month to study after the college semester ends in addition to studying at the same time as classes. How much studying time do you think I need to put in during the college semester in order to hit that goal? Also how would my application look if I got a bit lower than a 34, assuming I have decent LORs and ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't 'only aim' for anything. Aim for the highest possible score. An MCAT of 35 + with your GPA's will give you a shot at top schools (assuming you have solid EC's) and/or make you competitive for scholarships. If you work as hard as you can and get a 34 then that's sweet too, but if you can score higher then score higher.

I think you should use your last month before your test to take AAMC full length practice tests and review any necessary materials. This means you should theoretically be 'done' studying by then (ie. just taking practice tests and reviewing things you miss or have forgotten). In terms of time/scheduling, your best bet is to simply keep up in your MCAT class and complete all of the required and recommended homework. How much time this will take depends on your background with the material.

I know you're proud of your GPA, but now is the time to focus on MCAT. In the grand scheme of things, it really will not matter if your science GPA drops from 3.94 to 3.92... but a difference of 1-2 points on your MCAT could affect your chances. Work hard and give your MCAT preparation the necessary amount of time, and I'm sure you'll do well and find success in the app cycle. Good luck!