How much time between a contract and agreeing to sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apr27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Typically, after being offered a contract, how much time do employers give you to decide?

Current fellow. I just got my first PP offer. I like many things about, but there is another spot that I have a good feeling about (hospital gig actually) that I want to give a fair chance. The problem is that my interview is 4 weeks away. I haven't asked the PP gig how much time they need. So, I just wanted to poll the audience here or see if anyone has any suggestions. My only thought right now is to push the hospital gig interview up as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

It varies depending on their urgency to fill the spot but If they are entertaining fellows who don't graduate for 6 months, the need probably isn't urgent. If you aren't licensed in the state yet they'll probably need you to commit sooner than if you already are. If you're good to go then they'll need contract signed minimum 6-8 weeks prior to start date to get you credentialed.

4 weeks is not much time between. Just say you are early in your search but are very interested. Fine to let them know you have other interviews, gives you leverage. To slow roll the process, you can ask a lot of questions periodically, negotiate terms, request time for attorney review, then more back and forth, so 4 weeks will go by in no time.

Reactions: 1 user
It varies depending on their urgency to fill the spot but If they are entertaining fellows who don't graduate for 6 months, the need probably isn't urgent. If you aren't licensed in the state yet they'll probably need you to commit sooner than if you already are. If you're good to go then they'll need contract signed minimum 6-8 weeks prior to start date to get you credentialed.

4 weeks is not much time between. Just say you are early in your search but are very interested. Fine to let them know you have other interviews, gives you leverage. To slow roll the process, you can ask a lot of questions periodically, negotiate terms, request time for attorney review, then more back and forth, so 4 weeks will go by in no time.
agree with this. really depends on the practice. some will openly say, "take your time and let us know, no rush" others will want an answer real quick if they are happy to fill it with just anybody they can find.

but try to stall and prolong the process as mentioned above, while also trying to move the other interview up earlier. after you interview at the second place, remember it will also take some time for them to let you know if they'll offer you or not - sometimes can take couple weeks itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or use spouse or something unrelated as excuse. “Would love this job but depends on my wife- she finds out in a month”

Unless it’s one of a few jobs that work for you geographically, be okay with dropping offers. You’ll get more with time

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to clarify. Are you saying that there's plenty of time or you would prefer that they are closer?
Meant that you have some time, no need to be too anxious about the other interview being 4 weeks out

It's variable as others said. I signed not long ago and it was about 6 weeks between getting the offer and me actually signing. Most of that time though was just reviewing, requesting a batch of changes, then reviewing those changes before signing, not me saying i needed to think about it in general

It's variable as others said. I signed not long ago and it was about 6 weeks between getting the offer and me actually signing. Most of that time though was just reviewing, requesting a batch of changes, then reviewing those changes before signing, not me saying i needed to think about it in general
Appreciate it. Out of curiosity, what types of things were you changing? What should I be looking out for?

Appreciate it. Out of curiosity, what types of things were you changing? What should I be looking out for?
Get a contract lawyer, it's worth the money. Should be maybe $600-700 for the review.

Nothing major, the actual offer was extremely reasonable so I didn't push any of the financial terms, other than getting all of my signing bonus up front. It was mainly just re-wording things that my lawyer cautioned me were vague/could be interpreted multiple ways, with at least one of the ways being to my detriment. The things I recall were if I was terminated without cause, my employment would end "within 6 months", which would mean I could be let go without cause immediately. Had that changed to where I would either remain employed (and paid) for 6 months from that time, or if let go without cause immediately, I get 6 months pay based on my prior 6 months productivity level