How much time between prelim ends until advanced starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYyanx28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many people seem to be doing their prelim/transitional years in different cities from their advanced positions, how much time off do residents typically have to move?

I would hope AT LEAST a saturday/sunday? Even just a weekend would seem extremely short and probably stressful, do any prelim programs give longer time off to move?

Members don't see this ad.

As many people seem to be doing their prelim/transitional years in different cities from their advanced positions, how much time off do residents typically have to move?

I would hope AT LEAST a saturday/sunday? Even just a weekend would seem extremely short and probably stressful, do any prelim programs give longer time off to move?

Totally varies by program, but a range of from a few days to a week seems pretty common. Some people are able to schedule light electives toward the end to allow for better packing and some are allowed to use vacation days at the end to increase moving times.

For me, it's -7 days. Orientation starts a week before my traditional year ends, so I've saved all my vacation days to make sure I have time to move and start on time.

To be fair, though, it can be done. I only needed a couple days to completely move my entire life from med school to residency (which was very far away). New car, apartment, furniture, utilities, everything.

Heard of some places you finish the last day of June. Definitely would ask so you can if anything request vacation time and hope they give it to you.