NYyanx28

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
New York
Status
Medical Student
As many people seem to be doing their prelim/transitional years in different cities from their advanced positions, how much time off do residents typically have to move?

I would hope AT LEAST a saturday/sunday? Even just a weekend would seem extremely short and probably stressful, do any prelim programs give longer time off to move?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
As many people seem to be doing their prelim/transitional years in different cities from their advanced positions, how much time off do residents typically have to move?

I would hope AT LEAST a saturday/sunday? Even just a weekend would seem extremely short and probably stressful, do any prelim programs give longer time off to move?
Totally varies by program, but a range of from a few days to a week seems pretty common. Some people are able to schedule light electives toward the end to allow for better packing and some are allowed to use vacation days at the end to increase moving times.

Kubed

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Oh me-o, oh my-o, oh-Cleveland, Ohio
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For me, it's -7 days. Orientation starts a week before my traditional year ends, so I've saved all my vacation days to make sure I have time to move and start on time.

Buzz Me

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
To be fair, though, it can be done. I only needed a couple days to completely move my entire life from med school to residency (which was very far away). New car, apartment, furniture, utilities, everything.

EM2BE

Elf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Heard of some places you finish the last day of June. Definitely would ask so you can if anything request vacation time and hope they give it to you.