How much time do you get to spend with patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much time do you spend per day in meaningful time with patients?

• 1-2 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3 hours

• 3-4 hours

• 4-5 hours

• 5+ hours

• Total voters

ajhalls3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked my brother in law why he wanted to go into medicine and he told me he really enjoyed working with people. He wants to be able to spend a lot of time working one on one with patients as he has worked in sales and customer service for most of his life and enjoys that time. I was surprised to hear that as a motivation because it doesn't seem like doctors actually spend time with patients anymore needing to do so much paperwork. The last time I went in to see a surgeon he came in, examined my hand while dictating notes to an assistant and left without ever addressing me directly.

So I would love to know what the time per day you get to spend with a patient is, and maybe which field you are in.

Dr. Alan Halls D.M.D.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked my brother in law why he wanted to go into medicine and he told me he really enjoyed working with people. He wants to be able to spend a lot of time working one on one with patients as he has worked in sales and customer service for most of his life and enjoys that time. I was surprised to hear that as a motivation because it doesn't seem like doctors actually spend time with patients anymore needing to do so much paperwork. The last time I went in to see a surgeon he came in, examined my hand while dictating notes to an assistant and left without ever addressing me directly.

So I would love to know what the time per day you get to spend with a patient is, and maybe which field you are in.

Dr. Alan Halls D.M.D.
Why are you asking medical school students?

Oops, I didn't realize that this was a student forum, doesn't look like SDN has a forum for those who have graduated from a med program but I didn't realize that since there is one for the dentists. I guess if you guys can speak as to what you observe, that might help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, I didn't realize that this was a student forum, doesn't look like SDN has a forum for those who have graduated from a med program but I didn't realize that since there is one for the dentists. I guess if you guys can speak as to what you observe, that might help.
Physicians and residents forum :)

Reactions: 1 user
From the doctors I've shadowed, it seems like they averaged 5-10 minutes with each patient. Of course there were times when the doctor spent almost 20 minutes with the patient, but that was definitely not the norm. Then there were patients where the doctor walked in, asked a few questions, and was out of the room in like 2 to 3 minutes.

I think it also really depends on your patient load. If you have a bunch of patients in the other rooms waiting to see you, you tend to go faster.