How much time do you *really* spend studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hours spent studying/week?

  • <20

    Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 20-25

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 25-30

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 30+

    Votes: 3 13.6%

  • Total voters
    22

ygxtension

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering, around how many hours in an average day do you spend studying? How many hours/week?

Is your whole day outside of lectures/labs devoted to studying? Do you have time to do any other lesisurely activities during the day? Gym? Hobbies? Please also mention your year 🙂

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
SCO, First year. Sunday - Saturday, ~30-35hrs studying if it's 3+ exams/week. If it's less, then I spend approx. 1/4 that time napping.

Yeah, I generally spend all my time after classes studying and writing notes. I could have time to do other activities, but I prefer to study because I'm not a very good crammer. Hobbies? Cooking. I will devote at least 2 hours to making a meal at least twice a week. And I eat gooooood the whole week. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SCO, First year. Sunday - Saturday, ~30-35hrs studying if it's 3+ exams/week. If it's less, then I spend approx. 1/4 that time napping.

Yeah, I generally spend all my time after classes studying and writing notes. I could have time to do other activities, but I prefer to study because I'm not a very good crammer. Hobbies? Cooking. I will devote at least 2 hours to making a meal at least twice a week. And I eat gooooood the whole week. 😛

Ahh. I bet your class mates are envious of your home-cooked meals 😛

Do you feel that classes are manageable as long as you have the right time-management mindset? I've read threads about how studying and having a few hours to yourself/day is doable as long as you're *really* studying those few hours that you set aside to study (and not intermittently studying while you also fb, youtube, surf the web etc). Is it true?
 
Disclaimer: Every student is different and it really depends on your own study habits and how well you understand the material.

UCBSO First Year. Less than 20 hours a week if there are no tests. Between 25-30 on weeks with tests. I've found that I have had plenty of time to go to the gym, watch a little TV, and hang out with some friends while still studying adequately and practicing skills in the pre-clinic lab outside of class.

I have heard from upperclassmen that this ends in your second year and a majority of your time becomes studying.

ygxtension: It really does help if the hours that you are studying are actually spent studying and not on fb, youtube, tv, etc. Two hours of hardcore studying is way better than a day of trying to study with interruptions in my opinion.
 
Second year here. This past semester was pretty relaxed for me, though.

spent about 25 hrs/week. I am a crammer. I don't study for something unless a test is coming up in that subject within a week.

During the semester, there is time to work out and hang out with friends. Dont worry..

During finals week, i think I spent every waking moment studying or eating. it's easy to spend at least 12 hrs studying/day on the weekend. NO time to work out or hang out with friends.
 
To the crammers lol (jc), do you feel that if you studied a good amount everyday (even when there weren't exams coming up - maybe 3-4 hours everyday) you wouldn't have to cram????

.. that everyday-studying, well before exams, wouldn't result in outrageous exam weeks of studying 12 hrs/day and such..? (I know everyday-studying probably requires great discipline and might not work depending on people's learning styles).

Anywho

you seem like the type to be extremely efficient under pressure 👍
 
12 hr a day studying only happens on finals week since they are back to back exams. You have either one day or a weekend to cram for a final... of course a number of people will not cram and will prepare for the exams before hand and just review for the test, but me being a crammer, it doesn't work out that way!