how much time for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike

I have just graduated this spring and I am currently finishing the last of my pre-med requirements. Next fall I will be working full time in a research lab. I plan on taking the MCAT next spring. When should I start preparing? I was going to take a review class. When do those start for the spring exam? Should I study before I begin the review class. My GPA is a bit on the low side-3.05- so I really want to nail the exam. I will be taking some classes to raise the GPA a little.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent 3-6 hours/day, 5 days/week for about 3 months prior to the exam. I didn't take a prep course, but I used Kaplan and Princeton Review Books, and the AAMC tests. I had the time to do this, because I wasn't in school or working at the time. I took about 10 full-length timed practice tests. I got a 35 (11 verbal, 12 phys, 12 bio) and a P on the WS.

I say study for it as much as you can.... take it seriously and religiously....You know yourself more than anyone else so decide whether or not you'll need to have more time to study... I've heard people studying for the MCAT for 9mo, 6mo, 3mo, 2mon.... so it really is up to the individual. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Review classes for the Spring MCAT usually start in January.

The test is not only a test of your ability to learn science formulas and read quickly, but it is also a test of your ability to master test-taking skills. You get both from review courses.

You could practice the verbal section before the review begins because no outside knowledge is required -- just test-taking skills.

Which program is better, kaplan or princeton. Or does it not matter.

Study your arse off and you'll do fine. :D