How much time should you give evaluators to write a recommendation letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

impassivitea

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my evaluators is asking when I'd like my recommendation letter finished by. Of course I want it in as soon as possible, but it's probably better to give a more definitive deadline. So how far out of a date should I provide?
 
Last edited:
One of my evaluators is asking when I'd like my recommendation letter finished by. Of course I want it in as soon as possible, but what sort of a concrete deadline should I give her?
If you're close with your evaluator you can be honest and say you need it in a week or 2. But a month is typically standard otherwise.