How much time to spend in OR/clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SplenoMegastar

MS4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How frequently should an MS2 interested in ENT observe in the OR or spend time in the clinic? I want to show interest because I am interested and I would obviously rather be in the OR than in lecture, but I don't want to appear overzealous either. I was thinking 1 to 2 times per month, but I have friends interested in other fields that observe up to multiple times in a week. My department is so small that I want to tread carefully.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's best if you just go in and observe for 2 or 3 times in surgery and clinic and decide whether this is your specialty of choice. If it is do research with one of your faculties and meet with him/her regularly to establish report. There is no point for you to go in like once a week. You won't get to see much because we operate in small fields, and there are other senior MSs around. Many times you may just get in the way of things. If you want good interaction, take call with a resident.

How frequently should an MS2 interested in ENT observe in the OR or spend time in the clinic? I want to show interest because I am interested and I would obviously rather be in the OR than in lecture, but I don't want to appear overzealous either. I was thinking 1 to 2 times per month, but I have friends interested in other fields that observe up to multiple times in a week. My department is so small that I want to tread carefully.

Why don't you just ask them what you've just stated? I recommend that you contact someone in the department and tell him/her that you are interested in otolaryngology as a career and want to "shadow" someone to learn more about the specialty. You can say that you'd like to get exposure to as many aspects of ENT as possible without being a burden or getting in the way. Whatever they have, I would take (especially if you are REALLY interested in ENT).

ALTERNATELY, ask if there is any research going on that you may be able to help with...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're trying to get in tight with attendings in the dept, contact a local ENT in the community and ask if you can shadow them for a while. I'd bet far more than not would let you come along. I've done it a couple of times and have enjoyed having students around.

If your real goal is to just get in good with your dept, follow the advice above.

I should have clarified. I've already decided on oto. I spent time in the OR and clinic first semester first year, and had an ENT as my "how to be a doctor class" preceptor last semester. The two faculty members I spent time with both left the department. There are no residents. It's a very small dept. Most of the ENT's affiliated with my school are actually community docs. There aren't many that actually have faculty appointments. I won't be able to do an oto rotation third year because that's just not how my school works. I just wanted some kind of continuity and to build some relationships (with people that might actually be able to write recommendations for me in the future) rather than showing up 4th year doing a rotation like "oh, hey, I wanna get into oto can the whole dept fall in love with me asap." No one has matched into oto from my school in 15 or so years. I talked to the person who more or less runs the department (not the official chair who is 735 years old) and he said there wasn't really any research going on unless an interesting case came along and that I am "welcome to shadow him as much as I'd like." I think I was mostly asking what would be gauged as well tempered enthusiasm. I think the answers I got are still helpful though, so thank you.

Sounds like you need to get the heck out of Dodge. I'd do my best to visit a school with a real dept ASAP. You're going to probably need letters from people who are not at your school. One of those local guys may be able to write you a "feel good" letter about what a good student you are, but you're going to need some more heft in the portfolio. If you are close to another school, hang out in their dept. If you can get there only in the summer, I'd do it. If none of that is a possibility, sounds like you have an advocate already and just do your best with him.