How much to expect for covering someones practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallBird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a fairly boutique private practice, and will need several weeks coverage over the course of the next year. What might be a reasonable amount to get paid for this? I think the practice has around 50 patients. I would be able to bill separately if someone needed to be seen for a visit.

Members don't see this ad.

I just did this 1 a day a week for the same rate they charge. It was more time involved than I expected with several clusterb patients having pseudo emergencies initially. Fortunately he has a competent office manager and the doc is skilled with solid documentation. I’m not sure I would do it again. I thought it would be like weekend coverage, ensuring everyone had meds and was alive but it was definitely more involved.

Reactions: 1 user
50 patients support a psychiatrist?

Either:
a. your friend has this gig in addition to a regular job,
or
b. he/she has a high paying cash patient panel

In case of A, it would be reasonable to calculate how much he/she makes in a week, ask for a percentage that can be quickly recovered.

In case of B, it would be reasonable to assume that the patients are stable but demanding and ask for whatever you want.