How much to focus on research in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ready_to_learn

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I have a pretty-close-to-complete personal statement that I have a particular question on. In it, the "examples to support my thesis" I give are of two clinical experiences (one work, one volunteering). I am planning on applying to majority research-oriented schools (I guess you could say T20s), and am wondering if I should switch or add an example from a research experience to my personal statement. Happy to give more info if helpful
 
The typical five paragraph essay will have three examples. It is very typical to have a non-clinical service activity or paid, non-clinical employment, a clinical activity, and a research activity. So why not your two clinical examples plus research. I do think that if you want to make research a part of your career in medicine and that is your reason for applying to T20s, then showing that you've done research, enjoyed it and been successful in it would make a stronger case for attending a T20.
 
Makes sense, thanks! I've seen some discussion on having to strike a balance since the question of "well why not apply MD/PhD" can arise if it's too heavy on the research side of things. I think that had made me hesitant to discuss it in the personal statement to start
 
Makes sense, thanks! I've seen some discussion on having to strike a balance since the question of "well why not apply MD/PhD" can arise if it's too heavy on the research side of things. I think that had made me hesitant to discuss it in the personal statement to start
I think that if two of your three, or three of three, were research, someone might say, why not MD/PhD but not if you list just one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, off the top of my head I know Duke and Yale have questions related to research
Okay. Keep in mind that the general rule of thumb is not to repeat information between your PS and your secondary essays. It's clear that those schools want to know how research fits into your expectations as a medical student and future physician.