How much to study before starting PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasara25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello- I am starting PT school this summer. I am very excited, but nervous because it has been about 4 years since I finished undergrad and I am a little rusty on anatomy and physiology. I am wondering if anyone could advise me on the level of anatomy knowledge that is expected upon arrival at school. Should I already know all of the muscles, bones, markers, innervations ect? I certainly plan to study anatomy in the coming months leading up to my first semester, but I am not sure how detailed I should get and how concerned I should be about learning everything. My program, like many programs, starts with intensive gross anatomy and I am very nervous about being behind my classmates who may have taken anatomy more recently. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your time off.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm with @PTMattI - rest. If anything maybe get an anatomy coloring book and have some fun with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an anatomy coloring book before school and I will be completely honest that I never remembered anything that I colored... You'll find that every anatomy class is slightly different... different professors want you to remember different things and it's, in my opinion, a complete waste of time to memorize anatomy information beforehand...

School is intense. I honestly didn't realize how much of my time it took up until I graduated. I feel like a free woman and I would've definitely relaxed more before starting school because I didn't get much relaxation during ;)

completely agree with everyone above... PT school is a long road with few breaks, so I'd def rest up, do things you enjoy, and don't bother studying. Each professor is particular about how detailed they want you to be and deep they want you to go... so don't waste your free time now guessing what they will want you to know. You will be just fine when you start :]

Study the science of mingling at the bars, history of your grandparents' journey through life and maybe put in some hours at the beach.

Reactions: 2 users
Coming from someone who is currently in their first year of PT school, I agree with the above. I tried studying hard for a few months to try to 'prepare' until I went to an early orientation in July. Our professors told us to stop studying and relax while we can until we start class in September. I am glad I did because everything that I was studying for anatomy did not really help me. If anything it was added stress during a time when you should collect your thoughts and be ready to study hard when the punch are thrown at you. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of your feedback and I am very relieved to know that I don't have to stress out too much about studying. I have an anatomy coloring book, so I may just do some of that as a brush up, but I won't stress out about it too much. I have a few weeks between ending my current job and starting school, so I will follow your advice and spend it relaxing at the beach :)