How much trouble is someone in for taking two years "off" med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm in trouble, but I want to know how much if I want to match into dermatology. Due to weird extenuating circumstances, I need to take two years off during medical school (one year LOA, one year research). I was the last of our traditional pathways class, where MS1 and 2 are dedicated to preclinicals. For the year below me, clinicals start during October of MS2.

My mother developed a brain tumor and had pretty severe neurological sequelae + my father was diagnosed with stage IV cancer within several months of each other. I took a year off last April (end of MS2) for caretaking + managing family business, but since the incoming class starts rounding in October, I'm going to be starting third year late this year. That's 1 and a half years off. To match up with ERAS again I need to take another half year off somewhere in between MS3 and MS4.

Is there any way to bounce back from this? If I go to a "top-tier" med school, have 20+ publications, and hope to Jesus that I will get honors in all my rotations and 260+, is there any way I can still be competitive?

Thank you all! /weeps in a corner all alone

Members don't see this ad.

I know I'm in trouble, but I want to know how much if I want to match into dermatology. Due to weird extenuating circumstances, I need to take two years off during medical school (one year LOA, one year research). I was the last of our traditional pathways class, where MS1 and 2 are dedicated to preclinicals. For the year below me, clinicals start during October of MS2.

My mother developed a brain tumor and had pretty severe neurological sequelae + my father was diagnosed with stage IV cancer within several months of each other. I took a year off last April (end of MS2) for caretaking + managing family business, but since the incoming class starts rounding in October, I'm going to be starting third year late this year. That's 1 and a half years off. To match up with ERAS again I need to take another half year off somewhere in between MS3 and MS4.

Is there any way to bounce back from this? If I go to a "top-tier" med school, have 20+ publications, and hope to Jesus that I will get honors in all my rotations and 260+, is there any way I can still be competitive?

I don't think this is a problem as long as you can explain it.

If you had to take 2 years off for academic reasons, then yes, you are in bad shape.

It seems like you had to take time off for unfortunate and non-academic related reasons. I would just explain that when it comes up during interviews and you should be fine. Sorry to hear about your family's health issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much -- I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response and encouragement!

Members don't see this ad :)

First of all, I'm sorry for your difficult family issues and hope you are doing ok personally. To your question of matching in Derm, I don't think you will have any more difficulty than any other derm applicant; you don't need to excel beyond what has already been generally discussed on this board for people interested in matching into Derm. Nobody (almost) has 20+ publications prior to applying...get at least 1. If you get 5 publications in reasonable journals this will be considered excellent by most programs. Do aim for 260+ on Step1, but 250+ will still keep you in the running. Do aim to get Honors in your major rotations (Med, Surgery, Peds, Ob), but a single non-honors grade will not doom an otherwise top-tier candidate.

In short, I'm sorry for your difficult circumstances, and I'm sure many others at programs will view your challenges with sympathy rather than cynicism. Do well enough for the average 4 yr Med student to match into derm and you will match into derm.

I agree with the above... as long as there is a good reason for the time away and your med school performance is still strong, it should not be a major roadblock. on the other hand, if you take two years off and then don't do well on rotations or your steps, your time away would not function as an excuse for that. good luck with everything.

First of all, I'm sorry for your difficult family issues and hope you are doing ok personally. To your question of matching in Derm, I don't think you will have any more difficulty than any other derm applicant; you don't need to excel beyond what has already been generally discussed on this board for people interested in matching into Derm. Nobody (almost) has 20+ publications prior to applying...get at least 1. If you get 5 publications in reasonable journals this will be considered excellent by most programs. Do aim for 260+ on Step1, but 250+ will still keep you in the running. Do aim to get Honors in your major rotations (Med, Surgery, Peds, Ob), but a single non-honors grade will not doom an otherwise top-tier candidate.

In short, I'm sorry for your difficult circumstances, and I'm sure many others at programs will view your challenges with sympathy rather than cynicism. Do well enough for the average 4 yr Med student to match into derm and you will match into derm.

*hugs* I needed this! I appreciate you so much!

I agree with the above... as long as there is a good reason for the time away and your med school performance is still strong, it should not be a major roadblock. on the other hand, if you take two years off and then don't do well on rotations or your steps, your time away would not function as an excuse for that. good luck with everything.

I'm incredibly grateful for the corroboration -- I was pretty wrecked for a while, but I'm just going to make sure I shine as much as I can personally and academically once I get back. Fingers crossed I'll pull this off!!