How much undergrad knowledge do I need to retain for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chansey

MS-0
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will matriculating to medical school this fall. How much undergrad knowledge do I need to retain for medical school? I took a gap year, and my science knowledge has really atrophied. I know the MCAT is supposed to be a measure of how much you learned in undergrad, but I took that over half a year ago, and honestly I've forgotten most of what I learned. Like I barely remember what a GTPase is.

Will I be in trouble when medical school starts? Should I brush up on some basic science topics before classes begin?

Members don't see this ad.

Everything you need to be an intern will be taught to you in medical school.

Do not pre-study, you will be wasting time.

Reactions: 4 users
No not worth it. You'll likely spend your first few weeks in med school relearning the relevant basic science info anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, then I intend to YOLO until med school starts.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone,

I will matriculating to medical school this fall. How much undergrad knowledge do I need to retain for medical school? I took a gap year, and my science knowledge has really atrophied. I know the MCAT is supposed to be a measure of how much you learned in undergrad, but I took that over half a year ago, and honestly I've forgotten most of what I learned. Like I barely remember what a GTPase is.

Will I be in trouble when medical school starts? Should I brush up on some basic science topics before classes begin?

I barely remember anything I learned in my post-bacc. They kinda review the stuff you need to know, or will have some resource that you can use to review (Khan academy is used a lot). It's not a big deal. I took a gap year and had only the bare minimum science background. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
None. I forgot how action potentials worked.

It comes back. 80%+ will be material you've never heard of before, even if you've had that class. Enjoy your freedom while you have it.

Sweet, then I intend to YOLO until med school starts.

Should YOLO until 2nd year ends, take a YOLO-break for 6 weeks, then recommence YOLO until intern year begins.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I recommend writing papers, essays, at least paragraphs. Medical school will erode that skill.

Reactions: 2 users
It'll come back to you as you get to it. You'll still need to study a lot, but at least while studying you'll be like "yeah that seems familiar".

Stay fluent in any foreign languages you might have -- the med student that can translate for the team on rounds always earns brownie points. Beyond that forget college, especially te sciences -- you'll find in med school most of your college professors got it wrong anyhow.

Stay fluent in any foreign languages you might have -- the med student that can translate for the team on rounds always earns brownie points. Beyond that forget college, especially te sciences -- you'll find in med school most of your college professors got it wrong anyhow.

+1 to foreign language skills

Studying before starting med school is the equivalent of getting a 100m head start in a marathon.

What I did do, which I am so grateful for, is read about study techniques before starting. Just have a strategy. If you got through undergrad by re-writing and condensing notes.. probably won't work in med school. If I hadn't done some reading on these forums and discovered anki, no ****ing idea how I would have survived anatomy.

But first and foremost, enjoy your time off and relax.

The only thing I remember from O-Chem is that one of the SN reactions does it from behind...

Reactions: 8 users
Everything is given to you. If you don't get it, go to wikipedia, google, or youtube it, read some anatomy books, look at models, and just keep hammering the material. Still don't get it..? Then go ask your professor.

This is actually much more structured than undergrad. Your job is to get through it at this point. I am enjoying med school much more than I enjoyed undergrad... besides the fact that a majority of my fellow classmates are still type A and don't know how to take a chill-pill.

Other than that, I eat, ****, study, sleep, and exercise, and listen to music and just chill. Really not hard.

Everything is given to you. If you don't get it, go to wikipedia, google, or youtube it, read some anatomy books, look at models, and just keep hammering the material. Still don't get it..? Then go ask your professor.

This is actually much more structured than undergrad. Your job is to get through it at this point. I am enjoying med school much more than I enjoyed undergrad... besides the fact that a majority of my fellow classmates are still type A and don't know how to take a chill-pill.

Other than that, I eat, ****, study, sleep, and exercise, and listen to music and just chill. Really not hard.

Have you told them about xanax? I'm also enjoying how you're running fumes right now about your classmates. Hehe.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever you remember will help. Whatever you don't remember is not worth going back to.

So basically do nothing studying related until school starts