how much vaccation do you guys get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstudent6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as an attending? resident?

Members don't see this ad.

as an attending? resident?

Most residents get 3ish weeks of vacation.

Attending's vary depending on the set up: A lot of them you take the time off but still work your normal amount of shifts.

Most residents get one month or so per year.
As an attending, I can have half the year off if I schedule things right (1 work 12-15 days per month, no nights) ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most residents get one month or so per year.
As an attending, I can have half the year off if I schedule things right (1 work 12-15 days per month, no nights) ;)
Niner that's pretty nice, how long did it take you to find a gig with no nights?

I don't do nights either (or pretty rarely, maybe 5 a year). In my group we pay an attractive night differential so there are guys who want to do nights. I make less money to pay them that differential.

Most of us get no "paid vacation." I can take plenty of time off but I don't make any money. For the most part groups that offer "paid vacation" are just redistributing money they could have used to pay their docs for other things (higher productivity bonuses, higher hourly, whatever). Unless you are a real employee of a hospital or other such entity paid vacation is just another kind of redistribution.

I don't do nights either (or pretty rarely, maybe 5 a year). In my group we pay an attractive night differential so there are guys who want to do nights. I make less money to pay them that differential.

Most of us get no "paid vacation." I can take plenty of time off but I don't make any money. For the most part groups that offer "paid vacation" are just redistributing money they could have used to pay their docs for other things (higher productivity bonuses, higher hourly, whatever). Unless you are a real employee of a hospital or other such entity paid vacation is just another kind of redistribution.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of shift diff you are paying for nights? I assume this applies to weekends and holidays as well. It sounds like the other guys in the practice are buying the nights off, which is pretty win for those who are willing to work nights.

I know that this will vary widely from group to group/institution to institution, but what other benefits do you offer to your employees/partners?

Also, feel free not to answer if you find the information too sensitive or identifying.

Do you mind if I ask what kind of shift diff you are paying for nights? I assume this applies to weekends and holidays as well. It sounds like the other guys in the practice are buying the nights off, which is pretty win for those who are willing to work nights.

I know that this will vary widely from group to group/institution to institution, but what other benefits do you offer to your employees/partners?

Also, feel free not to answer if you find the information too sensitive or identifying.
Ours is on the order of $35 an hour.

I do 2-3 night shifts per month. We have 4 full-time night guys who do most of them and the differential is $25/hour.

I get no "vacation" as one would define it. I can put in for a maximum of 10 consecutive days off per month if I so choose, as long as meet the full time employment minimum. Theoretically I could have a week vacation every month if I wanted.

one thing I love about (my perception of) the work schedule in EM: it's possible to have 4-5 days off in a row, where you could spend a long weekend visiting friends in far away places or pack up and go snowboarding if conditions are good. I know family complicates this (but i'm single now so it seems feasible hah) but I love the "random spontaneous trips on days off".

one thing I love about (my perception of) the work schedule in EM: it's possible to have 4-5 days off in a row, where you could spend a long weekend visiting friends in far away places or pack up and go snowboarding if conditions are good. I know family complicates this (but i'm single now so it seems feasible hah) but I love the "random spontaneous trips on days off".

My guess is you would probably end up having to work a lot of extra weekend shifts for the rest of the month to make up for this.

Someone want to drop some knowledge here?

My guess is you would probably end up having to work a lot of extra weekend shifts for the rest of the month to make up for this.

Someone want to drop some knowledge here?

In general if you want to take a stretch of 4-5 days off, it makes the rest of your month sucktacular.

In general if you want to take a stretch of 4-5 days off, it makes the rest of your month sucktacular.

Is that assuming you aren't working twelves? The two admittedly small ED's I've worked in scheduled in 12 hour shifts. I personally think I'd prefer that to 8s or 10s, as you can line 'em up (assuming coworker cooperation) and work your three 12s of one week early in the week and your four of the next week late in the week and get a week off. Granted, I doubt that rarely happens but it seems you could arrange it in such a manner that you could have a break without taking a vacation.

I must disagree. If your scheduler lets you take 4-5 days off then makes you pay for it, your scheduler is vicious, sociopathic, vindictive, inefficient, or just plain clueless.

I work full time and part time (15-16 shifts a month), and get a solid week off every month, and my shifts grouped together (so it's not working every other day).

I mean, take 30 days. 12 shifts full time. 5 days off. 25 days, 12 shifts. If you are getting screwed, that is not unavoidable, and the reasons are as above.

I must disagree. If your scheduler lets you take 4-5 days off then makes you pay for it, your scheduler is vicious, sociopathic, vindictive, inefficient, or just plain clueless.

It's not my scheduler. I work 18-19 shifts a month, which often get crammed into 3 weeks if I take a vacation. A good portion of it is self-inflicted.

It's something to consider though, I could cut back to 15 shifts a month, but am I willing to take a 15% salary cut in a month so I can take a week vacation?

It's another thing I like about the job is that we have that flexibility to work as little or as much as we want.

Right now I'm working a stretch of 9 shifts in a row......so I can have 10 days in Hawaii next week.

I actually get 4 weeks paid vacation time, I'm the Director at one of our small rural EDs when not at the main ED. But I think they'd go nuts if I took it all at once. In reality I take time off when I want it and it fits with everyone else's schedule. We have a book, and if you want time off you put it in the book, first come, first serve. This means planning well in advance.

I don't actually use the vacation days though. I recently took 17 days off in a row, some of them at the end of the previous month, some at the beginning of the new month. So I was able to still do all my required number of shifts in each. Then I just cashed in the vacation time to pay for the things I did.