How much Volunteering is enough? 1 or 2 year Post Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businessmd06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am sure I will get a lot of different opinions on this, but this is a question that I think is rather important. I have been working full time in business and do not have much revent volunteer work at all. I am trying to figure out how much volunteer work will be enough while doing my post bac. I have a 3.4 UG GPA in MSIS, and I have many career accomplishments. I also tend to interview pretty well.

I am starting my post bac this summer at Rutgers NB with Gen Chem 1/2. I will then need to decide if I wish to try to finish all the pre-req's in one year (fall/spring) and take the MCAT in June, or if I wish to hold over and finish my pre-req's in the Fall of 2008. If I finish in 2008 I will have the whole spring semester to study for MCAT and continue to volunteer. I will also be taking less classes during the year and will have more time to volunteer. The downside to this is, if I am unable to fast track to UMDNJ I will be waiting three years including the glide to get in to med school. If I finish the following Spring and fast track I am in Med School in 16months from now, and if I do not fast track it will only be 2 years before matriculation. Doing it this way is a lot more pressure, however, as I will be taking three sciences during the fall and spring, and will still need to volunteer.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated it. In the end it comes down to how fast I wish to complete the pre-req's and how much time I would have to volunteer.

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.