• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

How much weight do adcoms put on secs?

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2003
    Hi,

As I'm surrounded by 25 secs calling my name, I'm wondering how much weight these things play in the whole game. For instance, last year I proofread the sec essays of a person who was applying to and was accepted at three parituclar schools. This person's essays were horrible. I mean a second grader could have strung words together better than this person did.

So I'm just thinking can I rush through them and spend two hours or so on each one? Clearly it probably doesn't make much of a difference--right?

It also annoys the heck out of me that so many secs ask you to re-enter all your science courses and also your extracurrics. I mean, isn't that what they have the primary for? Do they even read the primary?

Grrrrr.....

blz

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 8, 2002
    LA
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Tofurkey said:
      Hi,

As I'm surrounded by 25 secs calling my name, I'm wondering how much weight these things play in the whole game. For instance, last year I proofread the sec essays of a person who was applying to and was accepted at three parituclar schools. This person's essays were horrible. I mean a second grader could have strung words together better than this person did.

So I'm just thinking can I rush through them and spend two hours or so on each one? Clearly it probably doesn't make much of a difference--right?

It also annoys the heck out of me that so many secs ask you to re-enter all your science courses and also your extracurrics. I mean, isn't that what they have the primary for? Do they even read the primary?

Grrrrr.....

I've been half assing them. We'll see how it goes for me. Good luck.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.