How much weight do non-PI rec letters have in the admissions process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

So it's clear that research rec letters from PIs are extremely important. I am curious though what the effect of rec letters from class instructors (still required for the MD application) are on an application. As long as they're "good" (nothing too remarkable, but not necessarily weak), am I okay? My feeling is that MSTP adcoms will gravitate towards the PI-LORs and research experience/CV to determine competitiveness for the PhD, and stats+EC's+PS/commitment to medicine for the MD. Perhaps they are more useful for the Top X programs, where too many applicants excel in the aforementioned categories, and an additional parameter is needed to weigh applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely agree that PI letters are the most important letters for MSTP adcoms, as they convey secondary perspective on your ability to conduct successful research. As for other letters, from class instructors, physicians, and other individuals, the weight of these letters probably varies depending on the adcom and the program reviewing your app. Non-PI letters can definitely be beneficial in proving you're well-rounded in character. For schools that have the MD program review you separately from the MSTP in the admissions process, these non-PI letters may also serve more importance. However, as I said, this is likely school dependent.

Non-PI letters have little impact on MD-PhD admissions. The MD adcoms invest greater value in them,, but since most MD adcoms let their MD-PhD program decide who receives an interview those letters carry little weight.

In the end, it is all about the research. While MD adcoms may become tumescent at the sight of a 528 MCAT, the MD-PhD views a 528 as the same as a 514. Both scores tell us that you will pass Step 1, and we focus our attention on what really matters: research.

Reactions: 3 users
Reassuring to hear. I realized that I've been spending far more time in the lab than in professor's office asking question etc to get good letters, so I was a bit concerned haha