How much weight does this EC carry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a non-traditional applicant - out of UG for 6 years.

In that time I founded a tech start-up, which I continue to run and serve as CEO. Without being too specific, we're an e-health company, have raised venture capital, and possibly have some brand recognition to a small percentage of the people on here. We've achieved modest success and maintain steady growth, although I'm at a point where I want to step away from an active role and pursue my true passion.

This path I've chosen for myself has been nothing short of life-changing; I feel fully prepared for the rigors of medical school, long hours of residency, and stresses that come with being a medical practitioner....whereas straight out of undergrad I was rather immature, short-sighted, and in no way, shape, or form, ready for medical school. My time since graduation has been well spent and has served me very well, in my opinion.

I know a lot of you have done some amazing things, published research, volunteered for a year in a third world health clinic, etc. How do you think my particular EC stacks up?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's great and makes you stand out from other cookie cutter applicants. Adcoms will likely see your experience as something that can contribute to the diversity of their student body.

And it's great how you admit and talk about the transition from immaturity -> making mature decisions.

Can I ask what company you're CEO of? :)

Sent from my SPH-L720

I think it's great and makes you stand out from other cookie cutter applicants. Adcoms will likely see your experience as something that can contribute to the diversity of their student body.

And it's great how you admit and talk about the transition from immaturity -> making mature decisions.

Can I ask what company you're CEO of? :)

Sent from my SPH-L720

Will send you a PM - I don't like giving away too much identifiable information about myself on the ol' interwebz.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tie it back to your desire to be a physician? Did you develop traits that would make you a good one?

I bet you could describe experiences that would say yes. And that's what ultimately makes ECs stand out.

Can you tie it back to your desire to be a physician? Did you develop traits that would make you a good one?

I bet you could describe experiences that would say yes. And that's what ultimately makes ECs stand out.

I definitely feel this path has steered me back towards my underlying passion of medicine. Thanks for the tip.

I'd also be interested to know what company you're involved with.
Regardless, it sounds like you've had some life experience that has helped you to be a little more self-aware than many of the other "pre-meds". I was also a non-traditional applicant, and even though my grades weren't stellar, I really feel like my life experience and resulting self-awareness made all the difference in getting multiple acceptances.
Good luck!

Hellz yeah. That is some kick***** leadership experience you got there. I am sure starting a company also has a ton of teamwork involved too. All great stuff to have for going into medicine. I have seen a few other people on here over the years that started companies that are health related and it def stands out.

Now the question is if you want to be a doctor or a businessman with a medical degree to have more insight for your business.

Now the question is if you want to be a doctor or a businessman with a medical degree to have more insight for your business.

100% want to be a doctor. Although I do have some interest in using technology to further facilitate patient care, so that's not something I would rule out. But I do know that I want 1-on-1 patient interaction in a clinical setting in the immediate future.

That's a great EC. Congrats.

How many rounds? How much did you raise? How much equity do you still control?

I appreciate it; I knew this was something good to have on my app, just don't know how significant it was/is. I'm trying to overcome a low cGPA (will be 3.1-3.2 when all pre-reqs are done, with upward trend), but I'm balancing things out with a nice sGPA (3.7 most likely with one grade replacement), and 3.8 post-bacc. Hoping this EC may give my low GPA a pass..

Two rounds; family/friends seed round, then a round with a small VC. Still actively pitching, looking for the big Series A round, which may delay med school, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. I still own 54% equity, though expect that to be cut in half with our next round.