How much weight on these suppl.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much weight is given to these supplementals? It seems that they ask the same exact Q's that we have already answered in our Personal Statements? Is this just another way to get $50-$75 out of us? Should we be very careful with these or just send a check and reiterate most of what we wrote in our primarys.

BMW-

Members don't see this ad.

Money runs EVERYTHING in our mega-capitalistic country.

Of course, medical schools will tell you that secondary applications help them "get to know the applicant better."

I would also like to get some feedback about this...as I sit here writing PCOM and AZCOM secondary essays, I'm getting frustrated at the idea of writing half a dozen more personal statement-like essays...

And seriously, all I can think of is basically rewriting my personal statement, but I imagine thats a bad idea...it'll probably make us look lazy, BMW.

Anyone, please help! The AZCOM one is horrible, the entire thing is supposed to address why you want to go to their school and why they should accept you...because its an osteopathic school dammit! And its sunny...thats all I can think of right now...:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just look up info about the school and cite that as a reason. That and of course the generic statement of "good curriculum and reputation."

i have the same questions as the above posters...how is it possible to not repeat/reiterate was most of us probably said in our primary app essays about wanting to pursue osteopathic medicine. i feel like i already said everything in that essay and now i have to write another essay on the same topic...for ppl who have been through this before, did you find yourself in the same position? what did you end up writing about? also did you handwrite or type?

When I applied, I remember complaining about the lack of space for the personal essay on AACOMAS. What I did was take advantage of the secondary apps to elaborate or say the stuff that I didn't have room for on AACOMAS.

Pehaps you can use the secondary essay to explain why you are willing to be an osteopathic physician? Or explain your desire to become a physician? Or talk about a role model in your life that inspired you to be who you are. Or talk about the challenges you overcame as you grew up. Did you grow up in public housing? Did you attend an urban ghetto school? Were you extremely poor? Were you a first-generation American and had to bridge (and balance) two different (and sometime conflicting) cultures?

You can write about what you envision yourself doing in 10 years. Perhaps working in an underserved area? Or working for Doctors w/o Borders? Maybe you're on a fast-track to become AOA President, or dean of an osteopathic medical school. Perhaps you are doing cutting edge research, receiving NIH grants aglore.

Whatever you write about, write something that will make the reader go "gosh, I must meet this person" and invite you for an interview

My advice - write from the heart. Don't write what you think they want to hear. The readers are experienced and read thousands of essays - they can easily spot some generic essay. After writing your essay - read it again. Is this essay truly YOURS - or can it easily be from any other applicants?

Last advice - typing is preferred to handwriting. However, you don't need to get it professionally printed w/ high-quality high gloss paper - a computer printout will do.

Best of luck to all who are applying.

Group_theory
PCOM '007 <---- secret agent

I recommend that you type them if at all possible. It just looks more professional.

When I wrote my secondaries, I talked about some of the influences in my life that led me to want to be a physician, and, ultimately, what led me to osteopathic medicine. It was anecdotal and basically was a restatement of my primary app. Just find another way to tell them why you want to be a DO and what YOU can bring to their school. Describe how you are different from the other applicants you will be interviewing against. (Don't forget to have someone proofread for you!)

It's a pain, but it's worth it when you get in. Good luck!