• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

ITtoMD

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Mobile, AL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I had a great master plan, I thought, of how to take my classes and apply next summer. I could pad the semesters with extra science classes, but these would meet the requirements for Florida med schools. I'm set to leave work just before Fall classes start, but wanted to take a class in the summer since they are working with me on this.

The plan was to take Ochem 1 in the summer, 2 in the fall along with QAChem, and then Biochem in the Spring. I would take physics 1/2 in the fall/summer.

UNF dropped Ochem1 from the schedule 1 day before summer registration started. I can't take it at FCCJ (our local community college) because it is a Summer A class, and is 4 days a week during work hours, 2 hours a day but at the Kent campus so it would take an extra hour from work time. Plus UNF wouldn't even agree to accept the credits if I did take it.

I signed up to take QAC this summer, and plan on OC1/2 in fall/spring and then Biochem in the summer, which would still have me done early August to complete my apps. They don't even start sending them to schools until late July I think, right?

So, in the grand scheme of things, despite being pretty ticked at the change, this isn't really going to hurt me all that much (as long as they offer Biochem next summer!)?

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My understanding is that so long as you have completed the majority of the prereqs by the time you apply (and are in the process of finishing the 1 or 2 remaining - like Biochem in your case - over the time of application/interviews...i.e., prior to matriculation), you should be fine.

Like you said though - so long as they offer Biochem over the summer. Have you double checked prior summer terms and is it always offered? Regardless, you could just take it in the fall of your application year if they don't offer it that summer for some reason.

On a side note, why are you determined to take QAChem? I don't see that as a requirement for Florida schools (UCF, USF, FSU, etc.).

thoffen

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The areas that it will hurt you:
1. MCAT - either not being prepared or taking it late are your options. Being complete early is really important.
2. GPA/Science GPA - most non-trads are counting on recent coursework to boost these up. If they are low, or your science background is minimal, this could hurt your application (only if you apply before your classes have completed).

About the Ads

sunny1

10+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The areas that it will hurt you:
1. MCAT - either not being prepared or taking it late are your options. Being complete early is really important.
2. GPA/Science GPA - most non-trads are counting on recent coursework to boost these up. If they are low, or your science background is minimal, this could hurt your application (only if you apply before your classes have completed).

Yeah, when were you planning on taking the MCAT, OP?

Thoffen, are you suggesting that the OP finish Biochem before the MCAT or simply be sure to do the two (biochem class and MCAT prep) at different times to allow full devotion to both?

I always get differing opinions from people on SDN about biochem. I asked a while back if I should take it before the MCAT and people said my time would be better spent preparing for MCAT and taking biochem later if I couldn't fit it in beforehand.

ITtoMD

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2008
Mobile, AL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
A few quick answers...

QAC is required for BioChem at UNF :)

I plan on taking the MCAT in May of next year, so I would just be starting BioChem, hopefully.

Yes, they are offering Biochem this summer and the past summer as well.

My local community college also is offering it (several of them actually) this summer. That is sort of my fall back.

Actually I plan on asking to take it along with org chem 2 in the spring because of this last minute change. Worst they can do is say no :)

thoffen

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah, when were you planning on taking the MCAT, OP?

Thoffen, are you suggesting that the OP finish Biochem before the MCAT or simply be sure to do the two (biochem class and MCAT prep) at different times to allow full devotion to both?

I always get differing opinions from people on SDN about biochem. I asked a while back if I should take it before the MCAT and people said my time would be better spent preparing for MCAT and taking biochem later if I couldn't fit it in beforehand.

Sorry. Didn't realize that Biochem was the class that might not be finished, not any of the prereqs. I haven't taken Biochem, so I do not know how helpful it would be for the MCAT. I do know that you can do quite well without it. :D

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.