How much will your personal statement affect you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my primary app. However, after reading it, I realized that maybe my personal statement isn't as good as I'd like it to be. My descriptions for my ECs can also be better come to think of it. At the end of the day, how much does your personal statement affect your acceptance? I don't have stellar numbers (c3.64, s3.60, 25 (8/7/10)), but would a below average PS destroy my chances? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted my primary app. However, after reading it, I realized that maybe my personal statement isn't as good as I'd like it to be. My descriptions for my ECs can also be better come to think of it. At the end of the day, how much does your personal statement affect your acceptance? I don't have stellar numbers (c3.64, s3.60, 25 (8/7/10)), but would a below average PS destroy my chances? Thanks!

doesn't help. If it was a 9/9/10 I would say you are probably golden.

You can edit it, you know. Unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS lets you edit everything except your coursework as much as you'd like until you are verified.

I've completely re-written my PS several times over. Delighted to get verified so I'd stop poking at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The PS is your way to put something human into your application that separates you from every other person with similar stats. I would say it is an important part of the application to which adcoms pay significant attention. Edit it if possible until it is something you are happy with.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm...I see some very good points here. Would anyone be willing to read my PS? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

I believe it has a lot to do with whether they want to give you an interview or not, the only thing they know about yours your #s, the PS gives them a story about you, so you want them to finish reading it with the feeling that they want to get to know more about you and give you an interview. A friend of mine had a 31 mcat 3.5gpa and her PS was not very good, she did not get one acceptance. From experience, I made sure my app was stellar before applying because of my less than stellar mcat and I am certain it made all the difference in the world. Apply broadly, keep in contact with the schools, and hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with above, it's definitely thought as one of the things that differentiates you from other applicants.

I believe it has a lot to do with whether they want to give you an interview or not, the only thing they know about yours your #s, the PS gives them a story about you, so you want them to finish reading it with the feeling that they want to get to know more about you and give you an interview. A friend of mine had a 31 mcat 3.5gpa and her PS was not very good, she did not get one acceptance. From experience, I made sure my app was stellar before applying because of my less than stellar mcat and I am certain it made all the difference in the world. Apply broadly, keep in contact with the schools, and hope for the best.

Wow, not one acceptance. That sounds terrifying. If you don't mind me asking, how did you score on the mcat?

It depends on the schools you are applying to.
The chief of cardiothoracic surgery I shadowed told me that many admissions dont bother reading them. Would you read thousands of essays? Maybe they will read yours if you are invited to interview, but still, it all depends on the schools.

It depends on the schools you are applying to.
The chief of cardiothoracic surgery I shadowed told me that many admissions dont bother reading them. Would you read thousands of essays? Maybe they will read yours if you are invited to interview, but still, it all depends on the schools.

I hear for residency this is true, as for medical school admissions I doubt this is the case, and besides it's not 1 person reading a thousand essays. It's more like a large group of faculty splitting up essays and reading them quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I see some very good points here. Would anyone be willing to read my PS? I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
I'd be happy to read your PS and throw in my 2 cents.

I was told by admissions at my school that they offered me an interview based on my personal statement.

It can matter a lot or very little. It depends on too many other factors.

Quit fussing! A great PS can help a applicant and make an interviewer more passionate about the person in Adcom meetings.

A BAD PS can hurt you in Adcom meetings. The worst sins are sloppiness.

So, a mediocre PS is neutral.

Yes, PS makes a difference. I know of a person with much higher numbers who had a lot of trouble getting acceptances. This individual eventually matriculated into a top 20 MD school but got off the waitlist VERY late.

You can edit it, you know. Unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS lets you edit everything except your coursework as much as you'd like until you are verified.

I've completely re-written my PS several times over. Delighted to get verified so I'd stop poking at it.
Can we edit the EC's and work experience section after it is verified before you release the app to different schools? Or only before it gets verified in the waiting period? I am asking because I submitted mine just to get my grades verified with incomplete ECs..

Can we edit the EC's and work experience section after it is verified before you release the app to different schools? Or only before it gets verified in the waiting period? I am asking because I submitted mine just to get my grades verified with incomplete ECs..
Well I. Your situation, you kind of have to edit the ECs after you get verified since it was left not finished. But I think you can edit it. I'm in the process of getting verified and I corrected mistakes on my app a few times since my submission.

The schools will just download the updated version on Tuesdays as you continue to correct then. I read that on another thread. Anyone can back me up on this?

You can definitely modify ECs on your app even after verification. I have done this in the past.