Quantcast

How much work experience in enough?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leena

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to know how much work experience does it take to impress Med Schools?:)

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot. LOL

Just do something that you ENJOY and be able to EXPRESS it.

For instance, I was doing a mock interview with someone from ad comm. He asked why I wanted to be a doctor. And I just told him flat out (since this was a mock one anyways), that I haven't yet found a satisfying answer for that in two years that I could express in less than 5 minutes without going over the history of my life. He said to work on it.

But then he asked what type of specialty I was interested in? I immediately answered surgery and started to explain why, my experiences in the OR, experiences of doing surgery in the lab and why I found it the most stimulating. And he said that was an EXCELLENT answer.

leena

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My biggest problem is that everything in the United Kingdom takes forever. :oops: They do a police check, medical check and ask for references just so you could volunteer! This can take up to 2 months!!!!!

Since getting into medical school here is extremely difficult, especially in London, I need to seriously impress!

I am currently doing the following work experience-

* I am a word Volunteer
* I work in a nursing home
* I teach refugee children with learning difficulties English
* I am a teacher?s assistant in a school for children with autism
* I also volunteer with St Johns Ambulance

On top of all that I am also doing 2 part time courses (sign language and basic counseling) as well as my degree (Bsc. Biochemistry) and my final year Dissertation. My only problem is that I need to do more to be able to prove to med schools that I can cope with a heavy schedule :D

Any advice?

Leena
:)

Anka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Leena,

My only advice would be... Come to the states! We need more people like you :)

Seriously, it sounds like you're pulling a major load. In the states it sometimes helps to do scientific research. Does it work that way there, too, or are they mostly interested in your good will towards humanity? In any case, you might think about it, although it might be best to wait until you've finished some of your other committments.

If you aren't at all interested in research, what about volunteering overseas? I'm sure you're eligable for some sort of program, given your volunteer background. It doesn't make much sense, but sometimes people are more impressed with teaching kids English in Afghanistan rather than North Chicago, you know? And, frankly, you might have more free time.

Best wishes,
Anka