How much work experience is enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AspiringDoctor9

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hihi guys,

I was looking at the asph website, and I saw under their FAQ that a good way to get public health experience is to work or volunteer for a non-profit agency that has to do with public health. I am going to apply straight out of undergrad, and not having enough work experience worries me... I have worked for 3 years part-time as a sexual assault counselor for the local rape crisis center though... do you think that is enough, or will schools expect more, full-time work?
 
Hi AspiringDoctor, 🙂

There are a few past threads on this, and I'd encourage you to do more searches to answer any questions that you have relating to public health:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=93473&highlight=experience

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95160&highlight=experience

As you'll read in these threads, many schools don't require you to have any experience in public health at all besides a genuine interest in the field. Your work in the sexual assault arena will definitely make you stand out uniquely as a candidate. Browse some of the other threads and they will give you an idea of the diversity of candidates in terms of experience and education, and you'll see that you can make great contributions to the field as well.

Best,
H&T