How much would shadowing my family doctor help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeilofMaya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing my doctor since I was in sixth grade about once or twice a year. Anyways, I need someone to shadow and I have no doubt he would allow it. The problem is do schools frown upon shadowing a pediatrician, nevertheless, your family doctor?

Also how much does this help when it comes time to look on your resume?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been seeing my doctor since I was in sixth grade about once or twice a year. Anyways, I need someone to shadow and I have no doubt he would allow it. The problem is do schools frown upon shadowing a pediatrician, nevertheless, your family doctor?

Also how much does this help when it comes time to look on your resume?

Why would they frown on shadowing a pediatrician? They aren't going to care. And they also aren't going to know he/she is your family doctor. Even if they did, it still wouldnt matter.

The goal is to get exposure to the medical field, anyway you can. As far as helping you out on your resume, I'd say not that much. Id even go as far as to say its expected of you. Almost every applicant will have done it. The main (and probably the easiest) way to get exposure to the medical field is to shadow a doctor. If you can, shadow more than one in different fields of medicine. If you havent yet, nows a good time to start.

Good question. If you are interested in family medicine/peds, shadowing a private practice doc (even if it is your own) is a great way to start! In fact, I did most of my shadowing with the pediatrician I had when I was growing up, and I have gotten more interviews than I thought I'd ever receive when I started my application cycle. Shadowing, no matter under what circumstance, will help your chances and show your interest in the field of medicine.

ACCEPTED class of 2013!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. If you are interested in family medicine/peds, shadowing a private practice doc (even if it is your own) is a great way to start! In fact, I did most of my shadowing with the pediatrician I had when I was growing up, and I have gotten more interviews than I thought I'd ever receive when I started my application cycle. Shadowing, no matter under what circumstance, will help your chances and show your interest in the field of medicine.

ACCEPTED class of 2013!

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you've received 7 interviews and 2 acceptances so far more so becasue of your 4.0 GPA and 35 MCAT, and not so much beecause you shadowed a pediatrician.

Shadow your pediatrician. My letter writer explicitly said in the letter that she was my mom's doctor for 20+ years. No conflict of interest, and nothing was said about it.

For many people their own doctor is the one who they know the best, and have the easiest access to. It's prefectly cool to shadow your own doctor.

i think that is totally fine. if you have decent hours not just like 2 hours, a one off session. shadowing is all the same. they just want to see if you have tried to understand the life of a doctor and haven't just got this image of grey's anatomy or house in your mind.

I think you should do it, OP. It will definately help, andm oreso than that, shadowing is a good experience...I would probably do it even if it weren't practically necessary for getting into med school.

Do it- no questions asked...

I shadowed my personal doctor and she also wrote me a great LOR- 2 pages! She was a lil hesitant at first because I only saw her 1-2 times a year and only for about 5 years. After one day she was totally cool with me shadowing and she offered a lot of mentoring and actually decided to work to improve the pre-med program at my university too after seeing the struggles I was having. I see her a lot more since I have a chronic disease (diagnosed a year or so ago) and have lots of check ups.

She was amazing and she was one of the first people I emailed when I was accepted!