how must we evolve as a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted746658

the field of DR will change immensely in the coming decades. how must our role evolve in the coming decades to ensure survival of our field as AI/ML begin to automate some/many/all of our current tasks?

Members don't see this ad.

1572917586988.png

Reactions: 1 users
the field of DR will change immensely in the coming decades. how must our role evolve in the coming decades to ensure survival of our field as AI/ML begin to automate some/many/all of our current tasks?

Idk maybe pump out less of you? Maybe put the specialty on birth control so to speak.

Members don't see this ad :)

DR has always been a rapidly immensely changing field from its beginning about 100 years ago. It is nothing new.

The role of AI is exaggerated big time. The day the AI can replace a radiologist is the day that 90% of jobs in the planet will be replaced.

The field will go through a lot of changes in the future but most likely due to other factors and not AI.

Reactions: 5 users
Radiology in general needs to move towards a consultation field and away from the way labs/vital signs are viewed.

Imaging, and more importantly the most appropriate imaging modality, is becoming much more complex. Anyone in the field can tell you about the heaps of nonindicated/poorly indicated studies we read everyday - often that’s the majority of our day. Clinicians hate the GIGO that results from poorly ordered studies, and the reports only perpetuate the hedgey-waffling-persona.

I think the best model for this is how Pharmacy has started rounding with ID to help really target antibiotics instead of just blasting away with Vanc/Cefepime on every patient.

If we allow ourselves to remain faceless it’ll be to our detriment. IR is realizing this, along with the difficulty they are having to recruit patients who aren’t terrible surgical candidates, they want patients to know them as ‘their doctors,’ and has to be a huge impetuous towards starting clinics.

Reactions: 3 users
Idk maybe pump out less of you? Maybe put the specialty on birth control so to speak.

While a few programs have expanded and a couple new programs have been created the overall # of board eligible radiologists has been remarkably consistent for the past few years. Especially when compared to the Rad Onc debacle and the coming EM apocalypse.

Total FIRST TIME test takers for the ABR Core Exam:
2013: 1206
2014: 1235
2015: 1184
2016: 1150
2017: 1173
2018: 1189
2019: 1191

This is the best readily available metric I know because it includes all the FMGs that take the ABR Alternate Pathway (4 fellowships).

Reactions: 2 users
Radiology in general needs to move towards a consultation field and away from the way labs/vital signs are viewed.

Imaging, and more importantly the most appropriate imaging modality, is becoming much more complex. Anyone in the field can tell you about the heaps of nonindicated/poorly indicated studies we read everyday - often that’s the majority of our day. Clinicians hate the GIGO that results from poorly ordered studies, and the reports only perpetuate the hedgey-waffling-persona.

I think the best model for this is how Pharmacy has started rounding with ID to help really target antibiotics instead of just blasting away with Vanc/Cefepime on every patient.

If we allow ourselves to remain faceless it’ll be to our detriment. IR is realizing this, along with the difficulty they are having to recruit patients who aren’t terrible surgical candidates, they want patients to know them as ‘their doctors,’ and has to be a huge impetuous towards starting clinics.

Radiology is already a very busy consultation field especially in the community. If you doubt it consider the number of phone calls that we recieve everyday. I don't see any reason to round with other services. Let's be frank. Even those services are hiring NPs and PAs to round FOR them. For example in our hospital nephrology and ortho barely round except for their NPs.

I also believe that nonindicated studies are exaggerated mostly by non-physicians and also there is always a lot if "Hindsight bias". Once a study done and is normal people say that it was not indicated. Nonindicated studies is one of i things that "everyone knows but don't have a good proof or solution".

When AI can offload a substantial portion of radiologist workload, the field will reduce training positions. The move will raise the competitiveness and prestige of the specialty. There is plenty of room to contract; it just has to be timed appropriately to keep the job market stable.

I think health insurance reform will have a bigger impact on the field. If payers move away from fee-for-service towards bundled and capitated payments (eg, ACOs), radiologists will be responsible for ensuring appropriateness of utilization. Resource stewardship will require radiologists to take a more active/empowered consultative role at the study ordering and protocoling stages and then making harder decisions about the next step in imaging evaluation or follow-up.

Last edited: