How necessary are hours in multiple settings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_PT123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ll be applying to PT school this fall and all of my 2000+ hours are in an outpatient setting...will it hinder my chances of getting in if I don’t have observation hours other settings?

I’ve recently reached out to a SNF and a hospital but due to the coronavirus, they’re limiting all nonessential personnel.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting more experience in a variety of settings wouldn't be a bad thing but it's definitely possible to get into programs without it. However, be sure to check and see if the schools you're interested in require hours within a certain setting. Your application won't even be looked at if you don't meet their minimum requirements.

Having the additional experience can prove beneficial in the interview as you'll be able to answer multiple questions relating to different setting experiences rather than being redundant and using the same one for each question they ask. If you feel like your setting experiences are the weak point of your application and you also have the free time to gain more experience (given this coronavirus thing passes over), you should.

Yes, most schools require a (small) specific amount of Inpatient hours, so you’ll need those for sure!! Plus having a variety of settings (inpatient vs outpatient, hospital vs private clinic vs SNF) is SO GREAT! The more variety, the better!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools want at least 2 different settings. Coronavirus will be resolved in a couple of months and restrictions will be removed, so you will have a better chances to get in in-patient settings.
You can also do a different setting in outpatient, ortho vs neuro, vs vestibular, vs pediatrics. Try adult day healthcare centers or ALF, SNF after corovavirus hysteria goes away - may be easier to get in than a hospital and are still very different settings from outpatient.

Schools want at least 2 different settings. Coronavirus will be resolved in a couple of months and restrictions will be removed, so you will have a better chances to get in in-patient settings.
You can also do a different setting in outpatient, ortho vs neuro, vs vestibular, vs pediatrics. Try adult day healthcare centers or ALF, SNF after corovavirus hysteria goes away - may be easier to get in than a hospital and are still very different settings from outpatient.

I agree! I didn't waste my time trying to get hours at a hospital bc it required a background check, a waitlist of at least 6 months, etc.
I made a list of all the assisted living facilities (ALF) nearby w/ PT's & contacted them asking if I can obtain some observation hours. I was able to get my other setting that way. It doesn't always have to be a hospital so keep that in mind too.

This statement about "resolution" didn't age well.

Reactions: 1 user