How necessary is Pathoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pick 1 review course and know that course really well (Becker, Kaplan, DIT, etc). Perhaps pathoma fits into this?

Pick 1 question bank and study all the questions in tutor mode (Uworld, etc).

Pick 1 additional resource for reference (FA, whathaveyou).

If you go beyond that, you will go nuts. For year one, don't stress about boards. Just focus on doing well in your courses and figure out how you learn the material best.

Best of luck!

Get boards and beyond instead. Will cover more disciplines, and is more thorough than pathoma IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's an acronym. UFAP. UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma.

Get Pathoma. $100 vs. 2 years of tuition (MS1 + MS2). Your only job before MS3 is getting the best Step 1 score possible. Pathoma is universally praised. Follow the herd on this one.

Reactions: 14 users
I just took boards a few months ago.
I used Pathoma more than First Aid. I'm not sure why or how FA became the "Step 1 Bible." It's disorganized and has a ton of errors.
I used Pathoma + Sketchy + FA (for physiology and embryology review).

Pathoma is a low time sink resource that is very high yield. You should get it.

Reactions: 5 users
You need it

Reactions: 2 users
Pathoma is so high yield that it could have ended the Cold War 20 years early if we'd had it then. Get it.

Reactions: 13 users
100% necessary. Get it

Pathoma to understand, FA + sketchy to memorize, UWorld to apply.

Reactions: 4 users
Listen to us, the masses.

Get it.

Pathoma to understand, FA + sketchy to memorize, UWorld to apply.
I'd even say UWorld is good to learn. I also recommend doing USMLE Rx as your first bank or the one you use with every system

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathoma is 100% worth $100.

However, if you currently don't have $100 and you're not doing pathology/systems yet, it can wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Does Pathoma include good stuff for neuroscience block? I'm nearing the end of my first year in a traditional curriculum (micro/pharm exam next week, then neuroscience block, then summer break). I'm wondering if I should buy Pathoma now or wait until the beginning of M2.

Does Pathoma include good stuff for neuroscience block? I'm nearing the end of my first year in a traditional curriculum (micro/pharm exam next week, then neuroscience block, then summer break). I'm wondering if I should buy Pathoma now or wait until the beginning of M2.
If your neuroscience block does not cover pathology, it's not worth getting pathoma right now. If you're just getting the hang of understanding neuroanatomy and various lesions, you're much better off just really drilling in the neuroanatomy and laying down a good foundation for your future self

If your neuroscience block does not cover pathology, it's not worth getting pathoma right now. If you're just getting the hang of understanding neuroanatomy and various lesions, you're much better off just really drilling in the neuroanatomy and laying down a good foundation for your future self

I don't have the syllabus yet so I will have to wait and see, but we do not have a second neuro course in M2, so I'd imagine we cover it now.

In addition to Pathoma, I'd recommend looking into the First Aid for the Basic Science series. It's two books, General Principles and Organ Systems. They are basically textbook versions of First Aid that are organized very well and explain all the concepts whereas FA is mostly a summary of all the high-yield info for every topic. I have started using the Organ Systems book and it has been very helpful, especially if you're the type that can tolerate reading a textbook-like book.

I'm currently a first year med student and not really thinking about studying for Step 1 yet, but all my classmates are buying Pathoma because there's a discount on the textbook + 21 month online access that expires tonight. But even with the discount it's still $100, so I'm a little reluctant to buy it so early/ don't feel like spending money right now.

Plus I already feel like I'm saturated with resources for my classes and feel overwhelmed with the amount of possible ways there are to study. Do you guys think that having Pathoma is really necessary for Step 1? And if so, then is it worth buying so early just bc there's a discount, and would it help that much with pre-clinical classes?

You're leaving out the most critical critical piece of information which is your curriculum. Are normal-abnormal material integrated into blocks or do you go discipline based starting with normal subjects like anatomy and then do Pathophysiology second year? If it's the latter, there's no point getting it until second year. Also, I know each dollar matters when you're in depth but that discount really nothing. As for being necessary overall, yes of course. My reasoning for many of my answers come from Pathoma.

I'm currently a first year med student and not really thinking about studying for Step 1 yet, but all my classmates are buying Pathoma because there's a discount on the textbook + 21 month online access that expires tonight. But even with the discount it's still $100, so I'm a little reluctant to buy it so early/ don't feel like spending money right now.

Plus I already feel like I'm saturated with resources for my classes and feel overwhelmed with the amount of possible ways there are to study. Do you guys think that having Pathoma is really necessary for Step 1? And if so, then is it worth buying so early just bc there's a discount, and would it help that much with pre-clinical classes?
You are feeling overwhelmed by your resources because you DON'T have Pathoma.

Dr. Sattar is divinely inspired. Take that for what you will

Dude if you're in systems-based curriculum, you should be using Pathoma now. It's not about how crucial or necessary it is.. it's about you becoming virtual friends with Dr. Sattar. Dude is a wizard. It's helped me tremendously on my regular class exams.

Knowing Pathoma gives me so much H O P E for boards, yes get it - you will be amazed at how it molds your way of thinking

lol im amazed this thread came alive again. My first semester was anatomy and basic sciences, but starting this January I'm in an integrated systems based curriculum that is covering normals and abnormals within the same block... And yes, at this point I do have pathoma :p