Feb 13, 2013
Status
This is the part you all came to read:

"All the while, Shim, whose parents are both doctors, struggled to earn an MCAT score to his liking. He took the test seven times between March 2009 and July 2012 and chose to receive only two scores: a 22 and a 25."

Espadaleader

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Wow. This guy was a summer student at NIH this year.

Nena01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Took the MCAT seven times within a 3 year period?:eek:

Instead of paying thousands to create false transcripts and paying hackers, he could have spent that money on a Kaplan/TPR course.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Looks like he should have spent his time studying instead of hacking AAMC. Maybe that's why he didn't do well on the MCAT. :thinking:

itsthat1guy

Not that other guy
Oct 25, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
If be desperate too if I took it seven times and got a high of 25. Dude's obviously lazy though if he thought he could pull some black hat ish after "studying computer hacking for a MONTH"

Reactions: BlueLabel
May 28, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Just pursue a different career lol, there are lots of meaningful things you can do with your life. I would have given up after 3 attempts I could only get a 25! What the heck guy?

Nov 8, 2013
This is hilarious, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

V5RED

MS-1
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2011
Status
Medical Student
This person probably needs some mental therapy. If not for the desperation and anxiety, then surely for the likely depression when it sets in that he will never get accepted to a medical school with these things on his record.

Reactions: over2012

CarlosDanger

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2013
Status
Medical Student
awesome.

"chose to receive only two scores: a 22 and a 25. Possible scores on the test range from 3 to 45." When you put it that way, even if he had scored about a 30, people would have still thought it was crappy.

Reactions: Deadlifts
Feb 6, 2013
Minneapolis
Status
Pre-Medical
America is messed up.

- they are arguing for 10 months of PRISON for this guy
.... while a 16 year old is getting off with PROBATION for drunk driving and killing 4 people (google "affluenza").

RAGE!
Yeah I read about that too. Both are rich as well yet the defense seems better for the white guy than the asian guy..hmm

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
awesome.

"chose to receive only two scores: a 22 and a 25. Possible scores on the test range from 3 to 45." When you put it that way, even if he had scored about a 30, people would have still thought it was crappy.
They should have put percentiles instead.

masaraksh

7+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2011
Northeast
Status
Medical Student
I can't remember: does Prometric use face recognition software? I know they do fingerprint stuff, so he would need to create fingerprint masks for his accomplice.
in b4 'asians look the same' :p

but seriously, who does this?! hack the AAMC computers :O

CarlosDanger

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I can't remember: does Prometric use face recognition software? I know they do fingerprint stuff, so he would need to create fingerprint masks for his accomplice.
Yeah, his face and fingerprints would be in the system already because of his previous tests. I think you could get away with paying someone only if you weren't in the system yet. You'd also have to make a fake photo ID or use your twin's ID.

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Not sure, but they do take a photo of you, which could be compared to some ID data base. As far as the fingerprints, those are just for between sections so after the initial identification process people don't swap places, I don't think there is any way to know that the fingerprint they scan isn't "mine" if the first time my fingerprints are scanned is at the beginning of the test.

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Great article, 10/10 would read again

Wow. This guy was a summer student at NIH this year.
Wait, did you meet him there or something? From the tone of your post it kinda sounds like you recognize him, maybe I read too much into it.

SunsFun

VICE president
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2011
Pannotia
Took the MCAT seven times within a 3 year period?:eek:

Instead of paying thousands to create false transcripts and paying hackers, he could have spent that money on a Kaplan/TPR course.
Well for all we know he could have taken those courses and still did poorly. I think that in his rare case the best option is to go Caribbean.

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, his face and fingerprints would be in the system already because of his previous tests. I think you could get away with paying someone only if you weren't in the system yet. You'd also have to make a fake photo ID or use your twin's ID.
I believe that won't work since you take Step 1 there also and I would think that your information is already on the database.

If I had that much money to blow like this guy on hacking and taking computer classes, he could've just done well on his own. I also don't see why he "had" to be a doctor since he seems to be clearly doing it for the wrong reasons. Who in their right mind wants a physician who hacked his way in?

I am happy how it ended though, but 10 months is a bit of a waste of our resources. I am surprised he fooled the NIH though.

CarlosDanger

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I believe that won't work since you take Step 1 there also and I would think that your information is already on the database.
Oh really? Didn't think about step1. In that case theres no way you could get away with it long term.

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
The funny part to me is that he could have applied DO and had a shot. But nah fuq it

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Not sure, but they do take a photo of you, which could be compared to some ID data base. As far as the fingerprints, those are just for between sections so after the initial identification process people don't swap places, I don't think there is any way to know that the fingerprint they scan isn't "mine" if the first time my fingerprints are scanned is at the beginning of the test.
Lol the system couldn't even get any of my fingerprints so prometric gave up, and I went in and out of the test room without having to scan my fingerprint. :D

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Lol the system couldn't even get any of my fingerprints so prometric gave up, and I went in and out of the test room without having to scan my fingerprint. :D
Uh, I had an AWFUL experience with the scanner. You see, the more sweaty your finger is, the harder it is for the scanner to read it. I was nervous. I had sweaty hands. For about 2 minutes, each time the scan failed I got more nervous (and more sweaty) because my break time was closer and closer to being over.

Reactions: Elewynne and Nexith

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Uh, I had an AWFUL experience with the scanner. You see, the more sweaty your finger is, the harder it is for the scanner to read it. I was nervous. I had sweaty hands. For about 2 minutes, each time the scan failed I got more nervous (and more sweaty) because my break time was closer and closer to being over.
Yeah, that happened to someone else on my test day. They had to scan themselves back in, but the scanner had a hard time getting a read of their fingerprint and their break time was over. In my head, I was thinking thank goodness I don't have to scan my fingerprint. The secret was washing my hands before signing into prometric as it turned out. ;)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I'm going to quote Howard Stern on this one (moderaters please delete if this goes crosses a line)

"He'd better get used to sleeping with large black men, because he's gonna be someone's b****h."

La Presse

Due to the fact....
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2012
At Caillou's House.
Geez! We have an entire forum dedicated to the MCAT. Why not use that?

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Is taking the MCAT like something from Gattaca?

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
lmao, I love the article's tone:

"Unhappy with his middling scores..." :laugh:

Reactions: knv2u

vasca

En la era postpasambre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Chilangolandia nuevamente
Status
Ouch! He should have simply taken a post-bacc to increase his faulty GPA to a 3.2, get a tutor to retake the MCAT to get as good of a score possible and aim for DO. Not with a felony charge and prison sentence with a history of fraud and hacking I doubt even a biomedical company will want to hire him now.

Life of the Party!
Aug 9, 2012
Inside a black hole
Reactions: BlueLabel