How NOT to write a new personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seaghost144

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7. Embrace the 5-point essay format.
Here's a trusty format that you can make your own:

  • 1st paragraph: These four or five sentences should "catch" the reader's attention. I almost died from Lyme disease and I saw a homeless man get shot.
  • 3-4 body paragraphs: Use these paragraphs to reveal who you are. Ideally, one of these paragraphs will reflect clinical understanding (what's this?) and one will reflect service.
  • Concluding paragraph: The strongest conclusion reflects the beginning of your essay, gives a brief summary of you are, and ends with a challenge for the future.
If the first statement was about overcoming X Disease, but I was told to not talk about the disease since it's controversial, do I write something vague or do I write about the shooting instead? I came away wanting to protect misfits because I am one.

How do I not mess this up?