How often do waitlisted invites leads to an actual interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
On a few waitlists, wondering how common it is for these to actually turn into interviews. Doubt theres any data about this, just looking for anecdotal stories, etc.

If its likely, do the interviews likely occur in dec and jan as people start cancelling interviews?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As you said, there's no hard data and there are plenty of anecdotes for both outcomes. I'd imagine more waitlist movement toward the end of the season, but it's possible that someone could drop their interview a week before an interview in November and something pops up. It also depends if it's a "true" waitlist where they put the top X candidates they didn't already invite on the list, or if that's just their nice way of telling everyone who didn't get an invite that the interview slots are full.

I know that's not helpful, but in practice you should act like these are rejections. If you happen to get an invite later, great, but in general it's probably unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
On a few waitlists, wondering how common it is for these to actually turn into interviews. Doubt theres any data about this, just looking for anecdotal stories, etc.

If its likely, do the interviews likely occur in dec and jan as people start cancelling interviews?

Thanks.

I had a November spot open up today, so it does happen. Of course, only one person on the wait list for that day knows about it. Everyone else moved up a notch without realizing it. I really appreciate that applicants seem to be giving plenty of notice when they cancel their interview.

Had a wait list notification. The email said I was on a priority wait-list and that the chances of an invite is high. Hopefully, the program isn't just sugar coating things

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

on 3 waitlists, none have become interviews yet....

Thanks.

There’s no easy way to answer this, as each program does things differently. Some out everyone they don’t interview on “a waitlist” some only a select few, some have tiered waitlists and some even have lists but don’t tell the applicant. Some might even leave a few “open” interview slots for exceptional applicants that apply late.

What does happen around the country is after Christmas/New Years applicants start dropping their later interviews. They get tired, broke, or have seen a few programs they are set on - so spots definitely open up, and it’s why all of us on SDN encourage those to cancel their interviews as far in advance as possible to benefit their peers.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many waitlisting slots are there in ERAS interview scheduler per one date?