How often should i study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sublimation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I've just finished my first year in college and plan on taking the DAT at the end of next summer (aug. 09), I have the Kaplan prep book and the Barron's prep book. I have just finished Gen. Chem 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2, I plan on taking Orgo this upcoming year. How often should i study? What other DAT practice books will you recommend?.....one more question, do dental schools require STATS and if so do they calculate it in your science GPA, I knoow all dental schools are slightly different?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi all,

I've just finished my first year in college and plan on taking the DAT at the end of next summer (aug. 09), I have the Kaplan prep book and the Barron's prep book. I have just finished Gen. Chem 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2, I plan on taking Orgo this upcoming year. How often should i study? What other DAT practice books will you recommend?.....one more question, do dental schools require STATS and if so do they calculate it in your science GPA, I knoow all dental schools are slightly different?

Thanks

First of all i dont think you should even think about taking the DAT without taking ochem and some upper division bio classes. I wouldnt start studying until you take ochem, I am assuming you are going to be a sophmore so if you really want to do well I would take the DAT's next summer after your done with ochem...Some good books to study for bio in my opinion and others will also back me up on this is Cliff's AP biology 3rd Edition (know it inside and out) and kaplan blue book for gchem and ochem...get crack the PAT for the perceptual ability section and your good. But yea def. dont waste your time studying now until you have taken ochem...if I were you i would start studying next summer right after you finish and take the DAT's late summer after studying all summer.

I wanted to start studying the Gen. chem and Bio...cuz I just finished them and I want to keep reviewing them before I get rusty. Does it look bad if i take my DAT that early? I plan on Graduating in the fall of 2011.

I wanted to start studying the Gen. chem and Bio...cuz I just finished them and I want to keep reviewing them before I get rusty. Does it look bad if i take my DAT that early? I plan on Graduating in the fall of 2011.

Theres nothing wrong with taking your DAT's early, but the main point is you know zero organic chemistry. Its hard to fully understand organic chemistry on your own alot of people have trouble with it but if you put the right time and push yourself everything is possible, specially cuz the ochem section on the DAT is the easiest out of all the sciences...you just need to know the basics...the hardest is biology followed by gchem. So if your set on those you can maybe teach ochem to yourself or start studying for bio, gchem and all the other subjects while your taking ochem...just a suggestion

Members don't see this ad :)
I would only lightly review those topics. I'd try and take some upper level bio courses such as Physiology that can be a big help on the DAT. Also, really focus on learning everything in your classes. Then you only need to review to remember the finer details of the material, rather than re-learn it all.

First of all i dont think you should even think about taking the DAT without taking ochem and some upper division bio classes. I wouldnt start studying until you take ochem, I am assuming you are going to be a sophmore so if you really want to do well I would take the DAT's next summer after your done with ochem...Some good books to study for bio in my opinion and others will also back me up on this is Cliff's AP biology 3rd Edition (know it inside and out) and kaplan blue book for gchem and ochem...get crack the PAT for the perceptual ability section and your good. But yea def. dont waste your time studying now until you have taken ochem...if I were you i would start studying next summer right after you finish and take the DAT's late summer after studying all summer.

You misread his post. He says he's going to take the DAT in August of 2009 (next summer), after he's finished OChem.

Taking the DAT the summer after your sophomore year is pretty common.